[Rejected] Resize/Scale Filter in Handbrake

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

jacop89
Novice

[Rejected] Resize/Scale Filter in Handbrake

Post by jacop89 »

Surely it was discussed long before me, but I would like to ask the developers of the program to improve the filter for resizing video, especially for the '"upscale" add filters with various algorithms to support the most common, such as the famous "bilinear "," Bicubic "and" Lanczos ", in addition to those newer and better.
Having the freedom to do the upscale video would be great.
:mrgreen:
Deleted User 13735

Re: Resize/Scale Filter in Handbrake

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Upscaling is almost never necessary, as hardware resizing for playback is almost always better.
The Handbrake CLI has the ability to upscale, should there be an instance where you need it.
It was deemed an unnecessary feature for the GUI versions.
Handbrake uses Lanczos for resizing; bilinear and bicubic are pretty much obsolete.
jacop89
Novice

Post by jacop89 »

musicvid wrote:Upscaling is almost never necessary, as hardware resizing for playback is almost always better.
The Handbrake CLI has the ability to upscale, should there be an instance where you need it.
It was deemed an unnecessary feature for the GUI versions.
Handbrake uses Lanczos for resizing; bilinear and bicubic are pretty much obsolete.
This is not always true, since in some cases it may be useful to upscale the video: for example, do the upscaling dvd video in 720p allows a higher bitrate when you upload your video to YouTube (which version 480p appears to be limited in bitrate).
I think a lot of people would be a useful feature: after adding it to the GUI should not be a big problem right?
Deleted User 13735

This is not always true, since in some cases it may be useful to upscale the video: for example, do the upscaling dvd video in 720p allows a higher bitrate when you upload your video to YouTube (which version 480p appears to be limited in bitrate).
The last time I needed upscaling was for this exact purpose (using some DVD footage in a larger 720p project for Youtube). For that reason, I keep a CLI version around, and update every couple of years. Sorry there have to be some "soccer mom" limitations placed on the GUI versions of the software, but it is a precedent that was set by the developers some time ago. The CLI version is more user-friendly than its name conjures up.
jacop89
Novice

Post by jacop89 »

musicvid wrote:
The last time I needed upscaling was for this exact purpose (using some DVD footage in a larger 720p project for Youtube). For that reason, I keep a CLI version around, and update every couple of years. Sorry there have to be some "soccer mom" limitations placed on the GUI versions of the software, but it is a precedent that was set by the developers some time ago. The CLI version is more user-friendly than its name conjures up.
:cry:
You can reconsider?
You could add the filter "Lanczos4" for video upscaling WinGUI in the program?
I think you would do the delight of many users. :mrgreen:
Deleted User 13735

Not to mislead, I'm not a developer.

Handbrake uses Lanczos (3 I think). Lanczos 4 is not better than 3.
Upscaling, not Lanczos is disabled in the Handbrake GUI afaik.
If you will but search the forums, you will see the developer's stance and rationale on this.
Sprinterdriver

Post by Sprinterdriver »

I suppport this feature request, mainly because I sit here with some recordings that has wrong height/width factor and I need to make the picture wider so that the video looks ok.
If it's never supposed to be implemented, it's ok as I have installed other programs that can do the job as well. Still, it would be more practical if Handbrake support this.
Deleted User 13735

it would be more practical if Handbrake support this.
CLI not working for you? That would be more of a support request.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

musicvid wrote:
it would be more practical if Handbrake support this.
CLI not working for you? That would be more of a support request.
Should they include an activity log with their support request? The forum rules are a bit hazy on that.
BlueCrypt

Post by BlueCrypt »

I think a lot of people would be a useful feature: after adding it to the GUI should not be a big problem right?
You do not need to use the CLI version to upscale. I successfully upscale a video from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 by using the GUI version (Linux version).
Last edited by BlueCrypt on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Sprinterdriver wrote:I suppport this feature request, mainly because I sit here with some recordings that has wrong height/width factor and I need to make the picture wider so that the video looks ok.
If it's never supposed to be implemented, it's ok as I have installed other programs that can do the job as well. Still, it would be more practical if Handbrake support this.
You can do that by changing the display resolution.

SC
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

BlueCrypt wrote:
You do not need to use the CLI version to upscale. I successfully upscale a video from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 by using the GUI version (Linux version).
Yep, the LinGUI allows that (up to the display width). The other UIs do not.

I'm actually in favor of the LinGUI approach, but I don't care enough to advocate for it, much less write the code needed to make this happen, sorry.
jacop89
Novice

Post by jacop89 »

it is so difficult to add the option of upscaling for WinGUI version of handbrake? :(
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's a deliberate design decision. it has nothing to do with difficulty.
Deleted User 13735

jacop89,
If you had read the sticky at the top of this forum, you would have seen:
Search First !
Before posting, we would appreciate if you take the time to look though the existing requests to make sure you are not posting a duplicate request.
And if you had followed that advice, "perhaps" you would have come across the following post from another of the developers:
JohnAStebbins wrote:The vast majority of people who request this are trying to make HD output from an SD source which is only going to waste space with no quality gain. TANSTAAFL.
For the rest of us, the precious few who have a legitimate use for such a feature, surely we are intelligent enough to spend a few minutes learning to do it in the Handbrake CLI, or better yet, in a nonlinear editor, which is better suited for this kind of thing anyway. In any case, it seems far preferable to hounding the forum over a tiny issue that's already been sensibly decided, wouldn't you think?
Sprinterdriver

Post by Sprinterdriver »

musicvid wrote: <...snip...> For the rest of us, the precious few who have a legitimate use for such a feature, surely we are intelligent enough to spend a few minutes learning to do it in the Handbrake CLI, or better yet, in a nonlinear editor, which is better suited for this kind of thing anyway. In any case, it seems far preferable to hounding the forum over a tiny issue that's already been sensibly decided, wouldn't you think?
I normally use Avidemux for those purposes. I haven't spend time to put me self into Handbrace CLI. Maybe you could put into a short explanation on how to do it?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Sprinterdriver wrote:I normally use Avidemux for those purposes. I haven't spend time to put me self into Handbrace CLI. Maybe you could put into a short explanation on how to do it?
Conveniently documented https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide
jacop89
Novice

Post by jacop89 »

But I want to know what are the reasons that led to the developers choosing not to add the filter to resize in the Win GUI version of the program;
for most users it is inconvenient to use the CLI version for various reasons, while the GUI version would be more immediate as method. :(
Deleted User 13735

Because people complain when their upscaled video is not High Definition.
Hope you can let this go now; it's beginning to look like spam.
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

"for most users it is inconvenient to use the CLI version for various reasons" should read "For me, it is inconvenient to use the CLI version because I don't want to spend any time learning it"
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

jacop89 wrote:But I want to know what are the reasons that led to the developers choosing not to add the filter to resize in the Win GUI version of the program;
for most users it is inconvenient to use the CLI version for various reasons, while the GUI version would be more immediate as method. :(
The GUIs all include resizing. They just don't include a resizing direction that is rarely actually useful and would be mostly misused.
jacop89
Novice

Post by jacop89 »

GregiBoy wrote:"for most users it is inconvenient to use the CLI version for various reasons" should read "For me, it is inconvenient to use the CLI version because I don't want to spend any time learning it"
:lol:
I do not think that what you wrote is right:
is not a problem for me to learn how to use the CLI version, but since it would be a useful feature to be included in WinGUI, wondering simply because of its absence.
As stated before, for some users believe a resize filter proves very useful to increase the resolution.
jacop89
Novice

Post by jacop89 »

mduell wrote:
jacop89 wrote:But I want to know what are the reasons that led to the developers choosing not to add the filter to resize in the Win GUI version of the program;
The GUIs all include resizing. They just don't include a resizing direction that is rarely actually useful and would be mostly misused.

Ok but... just the DOWNsizing.... and not the UPsizing right? :mrgreen:
I do not understand this obstinacy to not add this "small" feature to the GUI version of the program.

I believe that others think like me:
do the upscaling can sometimes be useful, and with good filters the loss of quality is not directly proportional. 8)
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

s55 wrote:It's a deliberate design decision. it has nothing to do with difficulty.
Deleted User 13735