More accurate time remaining indication when encoding

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Sprinterdriver

More accurate time remaining indication when encoding

Post by Sprinterdriver »

Hi.

I've noticed that when encoding long video clips, the remaining time is increasing in the start of the encoding.

I just would like it if the remaining time indicator was more correct, also in the start. If it turns out to be impossible to estimate the remaining time, I would feel better if HB start with an pesimistic aproach. That is, guessing that it takes longer time, or start with estimate the maximum time it normally would take.
Anyway, having a very optimistic aproach in the start
(computer want to shut down again - must post before i lost it)
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: More accurate time remaining indication when encoding

Post by Smithcraft »

It's impossible to make it more correct. Since different frames require different amounts of computation, there can not be a constant rate of frames per second. Typically, the frames at the beginning are very simple, ie the studio logos and the opening credits. These are much easier to handle than a very complex frame.

How would you suggest that Handbrake handle this in a pessimistic manner? Take the initial fps and divide it by 2? The a movie finishes in half the time, and people start posting(complaining) about Handbrake finishing the encode in much less time than estimated.

SC
Sprinterdriver

Post by Sprinterdriver »

Hi.

I wish I could answer, but I do not have enough technical insight to came up with an apropriate idea.

I didn't know that the start of a video sequense is a spechial part that cannot be used to computate a end time. Maybe just skip the calculation (insert "--.--.--") until the video sequense is encoded enough so that a reasonable end time could be possible to guess.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

The ETA calculation is an estimate at best and there is no real way of making it more accurate at any point of the encode.

Code: Select all

ETA = remaining frames / current FPS
The above formula seems simple enough but there are two variables that are inherently unpredictable. First the current FPS is prone to change from shot to shot with each source, dependent on the movement and complexity within each scene. Secondly, we we can't guarantee that the reported duration for a source is 100% accurate - there are plenty of examples of badly authored DVDs that report a duration that is significantly different from what is actually seen during encoding.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

TedJ wrote:The ETA calculation is an estimate at best and there is no real way of making it more accurate at any point of the encode.
That's not true. My psychic always predicts my encodes' average encoding fps quite accurately.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Ms Cleo said not to put that on Front Street!

SC
Sprinterdriver

Post by Sprinterdriver »

Ok, I buy that argument that it's impossible to calculate duration at any point.

But what about this crazy idea: Make a bar similar to the "current speed" of the Downthemall extension to Firefox.
screenshot of downloading process

If not a very useful feature, at least it's looking cool :wink:
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You mean current vs. average? Don't we already have that?
Sprinterdriver

Post by Sprinterdriver »

Rodeo wrote:You mean current vs. average? Don't we already have that?
I don't know.

I was refering to the time vs. speed graph on the picture in the above url.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

TedJ wrote:The ETA calculation is an estimate at best and there is no real way of making it more accurate at any point of the encode.

Code: Select all

ETA = remaining frames / current FPS
I think it's remaining frames / average FPS.