Join two file together after transcoding

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
discless
Enlightened

Join two file together after transcoding

Post by discless »

The legacy app, VirtualHub, has the feature that two (or more) files can be transcoded and then automatically joined together, resulting in one complete transcoded file (without any human intervention required in the midst of the action).

Does Handbrake have this capability?
Deleted User 11865

Re: Join two file together after transcoding

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Nope.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

You could use something like MKVToolNix to merge (append) the source files together prior to encoding with HandBrake, however.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Seems that MKVToolsNix only works on Matroska files. I am looking for a more omnibus solution. Still using VirtualHub in this situation, when needed.

Adding this feature to Handbrake would sure help all those out there who originally stored content on split 700MB files, to merge them (as well as transcode them) in the new "discless" era.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

discless wrote:Seems that MKVToolsNix only works on Matroska files. I am looking for a more omnibus solution. Still using VirtualHub in this situation, when needed.

Adding this feature to Handbrake would sure help all those out there who originally stored content on split 700MB files, to merge them (as well as transcode them) in the new "discless" era.
MKVMerge accepts just about any input file and creates MKV output without reecoding. HB can read the MKV output for your new encode.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Not sure how that helps...
Deleted User 11865

InputFile1.extension + InputFile2.extension -> (mkvmerge) -> MKVfile.mkv -> (HandBrake) -> OutputFile.extension
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

So here is what I faced when attempting to download MKVMerge:

Code: Select all

Note: I don't own a Mac nor do I have access to one. Therefore I do not support the binary packages available below as they were all contributed by third parties.

Jonathan Buschmann provides a universal (32/64bits) package for Snow Leopard (10.6), Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8) for MKVToolNix. You can download the latest version (6.2.0 build 2013-04-28-b48f) from downloadbestsoft.com. There are also older versions available on Jonathan's homepage as well. If you have trouble with his build then please contact Jonathan directly.

The MacPorts project also includes MKVToolNix. At the moment v5.8.0 is available there. You have to install MacPorts itself. Afterwards installing MKVToolNix is as easy as typing sudo port install mkvtoolnix.
Then I note it is a command line program.

I think, for those few times I need to join as well as transcode, I will just continue to use VirtualHub -- an application that does both commands in one step.

InputFile1.extension + InputFile2.extension -> (VisualHub) -> OutputFile.extension

Hopefully some other ideas will pop up or someone at Handbrake will be convinced of the utility of this addition...
Deleted User 11865

Jonathan's builds are not command-line.
cobb

Post by cobb »

You could try MP4Joiner:

http://www.mp4joiner.org/en/
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

cobb wrote:You could try MP4Joiner:

http://www.mp4joiner.org/en/
I tried it (v1.0) and it continously quits unexpectedly in Lion.
cobb

Post by cobb »

discless wrote:I tried it (v1.0) and it continously quits unexpectedly in Lion.
Can confirm the crashing with Lion. Works fine with Mountain Lion (10.8.4), though.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Not the "killer app" that is going to get me to upgrade to Mt. Lion, but thanks! Maybe I will install Mt. Lion in Parallels one of these days and try it then...

UPDATE: It quits in Snow Leopard, too!
yepyepyep

Post by yepyepyep »

MPEG Streamclip does it, and a lot of other things...
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

I love MPEG Streamclip for editing, but I have never seen how to use it to join two files together. Please let us know how to do that...?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Open file #2, select all (Command-A), copy (Command-C) open file #1, go to out (Shift-O), paste (Command-V).
kfreeb
Novice

Post by kfreeb »

In Mpeg StreamClip, I just use the "Open Files" command, (command + O) under the file menu, select the two files to join at the same time and when they open in Mpeg StreamClip, run the "Fix Timecode breaks, (command + F) and then save out the file.

To make sure the segments are in the correct order, it is advisable to number them in sequential order before importing them into Mpeg StreamClip.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Great tip to know, thank you!

But: after using Handbrake to attach the .srt subtitle files in both files and seeing them in MPEG Streamclip on screen, they seem to be stripped out when I do a "Save As..."

UPDATE: I also notice that MPEG Streamclip stripped out the AC3 5.1 2nd audio file, resulting in a mp4 file instead of an m4v.
Last edited by discless on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mic j

Post by mic j »

mp4tools might be an option. Not sure how it will handle attached srt files when merging 2 mp4's though. MIght be fine. Just never done it.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

As indicated above, I have an option: the legacy program VisualHub. However since it is not being upgraded since it Snow Leopard days (other than working with Lion/Mt. Lion) it is getting long in the tooth.

My hope was that Handbrake would be a one step option; but, alas, it is not! If an alternative exists, I am looking for an easy one that would be used just after HandBrake transcoding and will retain Handbrake added options, such as subtitles and AC3/5.1 2nd audio track.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Thanks for the suggestion and I downloaded the trial version, but it seems to only work with mp4 files and not the m4v files outputted by Handbrake in the AppleTV default.
Deleted User 11865

My preferred solution is to not join any files ;-) :P
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Yes, but unfortunately, in the days before I was "discless" I sometimes stored files over two CDs in 700MB files. Now, owing an AppleTV, I want to move these to one complete file in m4v containers.
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

Have you tried AVIDEMUX? It has a passthrough mode.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Well, I have now, thank you...

BUT: it quits on launch in Lion; which is not surprising for a program called AVIdeMUX.

AVI is SO last generation!

UPDATE: it does run in Snow Leopard, but:

When opening an m4v file this dialog box appears:

Code: Select all

H.264 detected

If the file is using B-frames as reference it can lead to a crash or stuttering.
Avidemux can use another mode which is
safe but YOU WILL LOSE FRAME 
ACCURACY.
Do you want to use that mode?

NO YES
Using that mode and APPENDing two files seems to lose the subtitles, which is not surprising for a program denominated: AVI