Screen resolution in PGS subtitles

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
zak

Screen resolution in PGS subtitles

Post by zak »

Hi,
I recently encoded a 4:3 movie which was encoded in widescreen (1920x1080). Of course I cropped the black bars left and right to get its original aspect ratio again. The problem is now, that the passthroughed PGS subtitles are positioned too much to the right, i.e. at the centered position of the originally widescreen format. I found out, that the screen size is in fact stored inside the PGS subtitle and has still the original widescreen value.

For vobsub (sub/idx) subtitles, I can easily change this value in the plaintext idx file. Unfortunately the PGS (sup) file is binary only. Does anyone know a tool I can use to change the screen resolution in such a file to correct this offset again? I know there are several possibilities in converting them, rescaling them and creating srt text subtitles using ORC software, but I would prefer to keep the original file changing as few as possible.

I already found BDSup2Sub, but as far as I succeded it can only convert the complete subtitles and/or move them a specific offset of the left/right border which does not really help in my case.

I appreciate any more help in this. Thanks!