Force Subtitles (Anime)

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
sovanbu

Force Subtitles (Anime)

Post by sovanbu »

I ripped my copy of an Anime movie. When doing so from MakeMKV I removed the English Track and kept the Japanese Track and Subtitles.

My question is now that the video file is in .MKV how do I tell HandBreak to force the subtitles on screen when converting to .m4v?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: Force Subtitles (Anime)

Post by Smithcraft »

Well, it depends on how the playback software/hardware you are using handles subtitles. I would think, that clicking 'default' on the subtitle selection would make it the default subtitle track, and some players automatically display the default track.

SC
sovanbu

Post by sovanbu »

I'm playing back in iTunes. I've tried multiple settings but still nothing has worked. Anyone with any idea?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I'm not sure where it happens in Apple's ecosystem, but at some point, VOBSUB(the subtitle format for DVDs) is not supported.

SC
kfreeb
Novice

Post by kfreeb »

First off, I'm guessing that your source for the MKV file was a DVD, you didn't say.

When using DVDs that are going to be used in iTunes, there are really two ways to approach it. If you want the subtitles to show, they will have to be burned into the video, by selecting the burn-in option in the subtitle tab, (for the selected language.) There really is no other option for subtitles, you can't turn them on and off in the iTunes / Apple TV universe, (there always on because there burned in, part of the video image.) Subtitles will have VOB as part of the name in the subtitle tab.

That being said, if there is a closed caption track that says, "closed caption-text" in the subtitle tab of Handbrake, (for the language you want) then these can be added, without burning them in, (in fact, you can't select the forced/burn-in boxes anyway.) These can be turned on and off in iTunes as well as the Apple TV, (each has there own preference settings for this function.) The problem with CC is that it's all or nothing, there are no forced closed captions.
jmfolker

Post by jmfolker »

kfreeb wrote:That being said, if there is a closed caption track that says, "closed caption-text" in the subtitle tab of Handbrake, (for the language you want) then these can be added, without burning them in, (in fact, you can't select the forced/burn-in boxes anyway.) These can be turned on and off in iTunes as well as the Apple TV, (each has there own preference settings for this function.) The problem with CC is that it's all or nothing, there are no forced closed captions.

This is what I have been choosing for my DVD files when it available...I just watch one the other day on AppleTV3 and tried with my computer in both itunes and quicktime and I couldn't get any of them to pull up the subtitles...there was the option to turn them on and off but nothing happened when I did that...any ideas or help would be awesome!!