~60% success rate

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.

~60% success rate

Post by 661 »

Of the 40 DVDs ripped so far 13 have resulted in an unusable mp4. In these cases I get a stackdump right at the end of the encoding process. None of these titles are on the zero cell list. For example:

American Beauty
Stripes
An American Werewolf in London
Raising Arizona
Dune
etc...

I'm using latest versions of HB/DVD43 on XP Pro SP2.

Here's a sample dump from the failed rip of LotR: Return of the King:

Stack trace:
Frame Function Args
0022C758 7C809C86 (00000002, 0022C7B0, 00000000, 00000064)
0022C8C8 6108B875 (0022C9E0, 0022C940, 0022C920, 0022C900)
0022CA38 6108C41A (00000001, 0022CBC8, 0022C980, 0022C960)
0022CBE8 61092D88 (00000014, 00E716D8, 00E70090, 7C919AF0)
0022CD98 61006198 (00000000, 0022CDD0, 61005510, 0022CDD0)
61005510 61004416 (0000009C, A02404C7, E8611001, FFFFFF48)
31326 [sig] hbcli 3268 C:\Program Files\Handbrake\hbcli.exe: *** fatal error - called with threadlist_ix -1

As far as settings, I'm just using the PS3 preset.

I've searched the forums to no avail. Not sure where to begin troubleshooting this problem. Could someone lend a hand or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
missiontortilla

Post by missiontortilla »

I have had about the same success rate as you. It is very discouraging. I am beginning to think that this program is not worth using unless you are on a mac. It is horribly unstable on windows, and on linux you can't create a file larger than 2gb. I think they just put a windows version up because someone spent a few minutes getting it to "kind of work." It doesn't seem tested at all.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Its not horribly unstable. It works just fine as long as you don't try and feed mince into it. (either malformed DVD content or incorrect settings.)

Problems are caused by users and/or crappy decryption software such as DVD43.

The windows port will convert any dvd that the mac port will. The only difference is the windows port relies on a 3rd party software to decrypt a dvd source as the libdvdcss libary is not compatible with cygwin.

There are a few problems with cygwin pulling the odd crash but this is not something we have any control over and tbh, from my own testing, it doesn't really appear to be a very big issue at all.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

missiontortilla wrote: I think they just put a windows version up because someone spent a few minutes getting it to "kind of work." It doesn't seem tested at all.
Clearly you speak of that which you know nothing about.

Tell you what, in the interest of customer service, how about we:
1. Refund your full purchase price
2. Stop paying the Windows developer.

Oh, wait unfortunately we cant.

1. You didnt pay anything for HandBrake.
2. sr55 ( the windows developer) doesnt get paid. In fact, for a long time, he developed the windows gui on his own, separate from the official Handbrake project, including hosting downloads of the only windows gui at his own time and expense.

Maybe, just maybe, there is an issue with your setup, or dvd, etc. I can assure you that there are many people using the windows version very successfully. In fact, as the Mac Gui developer, I can tell you that there are less complaints of dropped audio in the windows version than the mac version. As far as the window version being "untested", that is truly a laugh, I do not have the figures off hand, but I would wager there have been tens of thousands of downloads over just the last year.

You may want to take some of this into consideration when you say "I think they just put a windows version up because someone spent a few minutes getting it to kind of work." .

Ultimately though, you are obviously free to choose not to use HandBrake, no one is forcing you. I am sure there are many other programs out there that may fulfill your requirements much better.

Post by 661 »

sr55 wrote:Problems are caused by users and/or crappy decryption software such as DVD43.
sr55,

I'm now using AnyDVD for decryption. Haven't gone back through the whole stack of failed rips yet -- 30 something and still growing -- but a sampling of various titles has yielded the same result. I'm a n00b with HB so user error certainly has not been ruled out yet. :wink:

After the 1st pass thru my library, I'll go back and experiment further with the problem DVDs and some of the suggestions in the stickies.

BTW, I looked but could find no way to contribute to the cause...
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

661 wrote:BTW, I looked but could find no way to contribute to the cause...
The only donations we accept are in the form of source code. =)

Rodney

Post by 661 »

rhester wrote:The only donations we accept are in the form of source code. =)
Unfortunately, those days are behind me. System administration is less taxing on my brain... if not my social life. :'(
John Meyer

Post by John Meyer »

original poster: look for a free program called dvdfab decrypter. use that to rip the dvd's to your hard drive. this will remove the encryption that is tripping handbrake up. then feed the files from your hard drive into handbrake and you'll be good to go. and you will freaking love this program.

Post by 661 »

John Meyer wrote:original poster: look for a free program called dvdfab decrypter. use that to rip the dvd's to your hard drive. this will remove the encryption that is tripping handbrake up. then feed the files from your hard drive into handbrake and you'll be good to go. and you will freaking love this program.
Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I am ripping to HDD first using AnyDVD. Hasn't made a difference. I was under the impression, based on research, that AnyDVD is the premier decryption pkg. It costs money, after all :D

I'm off to find dvdfab...

Cheers!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I use AnyDVD Myself and have rarely ever come across a DVD with a problem. I don't rip the DVD to HD first. I simply use AnyDVD to decrypt on the fly. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Post by 661 »

sr55 wrote:I use AnyDVD Myself and have rarely ever come across a DVD with a problem. I don't rip the DVD to HD first. I simply use AnyDVD to decrypt on the fly. Not sure if that makes any difference.
Initially, I was ripping direct from the media. When I realized I could rip to disk 1st it just made sense to spin the DVD for 10mins vs 4hrs. The result was the same - problem stack wasn't shrinking.

John! Can't thank you enough for the suggestion. I do freaking love dvdfab!! Many many options and intuitive to boot. I just encoded a DVD that neither DVD43 nor AnyDVD could manage in combo with HB!!

That's one...
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Just out of interest, what DVD is this? I'm really surprised AnyDVD has missed something here...

Post by 661 »

sr55 wrote:Just out of interest, what DVD is this? I'm really surprised AnyDVD has missed something here...
Star Wars 3 ~ Revenge of the Sith

Using DVDFab Platinum, my success rate has improved to +90%. Still having issues with a handful of titles and I don't believe copy protection is the problem.

Case in point: American Beauty. I have successfully encoded the entire movie in chunks of 4-5 chapters. Rip the whole flick, however, and HB crashes as described in my OP. Could this be anything other than a bug in HandBrake?

Thus far I have used only the PS3 preset as input to the HBCLI. Will experiment further with variations on those parameters. Let me know if there's anything I should try.

Thanks to all the devs for such a killer app!!

EDIT: Just encoded American Beauty changing only the bitrate parameter of the PS3 preset. I lowered it from 3k to 2k. Why did that work?
John Meyer

Post by John Meyer »

Glad you're liking DVDFab. I think it's a great program and it's nice to rip several movies to your hard drive and batch encode them.

I think I've run into your same problem, though. Here's the scenario-

I have 4 computers basically running around the clock encoding movies. I have an old Dell, and HP laptop, P4 desktop I built about 2 years ago, and a brand new Dell that I also use for my work computer. Everything works fine on the first 3 and I'm encoding around the clock on those. However, on my work computer (core duo), about half of my encodes don't work out. I get a mp4 file of about the correct file size, but when I try to play the video, nothing happens. I've tried VLC and quicktime to play these files and neither works.

The weird thing is, if I encode the video again, it usually works the 2nd time, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm encoding at exactly the same settings on all computers - h.264 mp4, 2000kbps, anamorphic, 2-pass, autocrop, all the apple tv presets in the advanced tab.

Let me know if anyone has any insight. I'm not sure what the problem is here, but I'm glad to help with testing (I'm not a programmer so that's about all I can do).

EDIT: all computers are running windows xp, sp2.

ANOTHER EDIT: I've decided that it may be related to setting the affinity in task manager for the Handbrake CLI. Because it's my work computer, sometimes I set the CLI to only run on one core so that I can still work at a good pace off the second. Then when I leave for the night, I set it back to use both cores. My early observations are that the encodes that are going on while I make these changes are the one that produce the faulty files...
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

John Meyer wrote:ANOTHER EDIT: I've decided that it may be related to setting the affinity in task manager for the Handbrake CLI. Because it's my work computer, sometimes I set the CLI to only run on one core so that I can still work at a good pace off the second. Then when I leave for the night, I set it back to use both cores. My early observations are that the encodes that are going on while I make these changes are the one that produce the faulty files...
If changing processor affinity in real-time affects processes currently using those cores, that would be very bad (both in that the OS should absolutely, positively not do that and in that it will indeed completely trash any running multithreaded app with threads spread across the cores).

Rodney
John Meyer

Post by John Meyer »

that makes sense. i'm sure that's the problem. i should have realized that's not a good thing to do. thanks for the reply.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

@John Meyer - Set the priority to low. It shouldn't slow your system down much as everything else will take priority.

There is an option to do this in the upcoming version. (although it can be done with task manager of course.)
John Meyer

Post by John Meyer »

sounds good-thanks guys. i really love this project and all the project leaders are so helpful. i'm trying to pitch in with answering some easy questions around here (although i'm still learning a lot). i hope i can help you guys out a little.

Post by 661 »

Success rate ended up @ 99.056603773584905660377358490566% :mrgreen: That's 105 of 106 titles I was able to encode.

sr55, in case you're interested... the following could not be encoded using the PS3 preset.

Lord of the Rings 1, 2 & 3
Time Bandits (Criterion Collection)
Eyes Wide Shut
Titanic
Terminator 2
American Beauty

Had to reduce the bit rate to keep HB from dumping stack during the final second of the encoding process.

Good times... thx
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

What bit-rate you using? If its stackdumping it usually means the file size is about to go past 4GB.

I've personally ripped my LOTR DVD's. They are rippable however they are fairly well copy protected. Maybe try another package to decrypt them before using HB. IIRC i used AnyDVD for them

Post by 661 »

sr55 wrote:What bit-rate you using? If its stackdumping it usually means the file size is about to go past 4GB.
I was able to encode all but the above with bit-rate=3000. Used that value only b/c I let the Playstation 3 preset decide for me.

The 4gb barrier never occurred to me; though it should have. :oops: LotR and the rest encoded just fine when I lowered the bit-rate to 2k.

One DVD stands between me and a perfect rip record: Dune

Never give up... never surrender. ;)