Question About Encoding: iPad & Apple TV 1

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
maneeshpangasa

Question About Encoding: iPad & Apple TV 1

Post by maneeshpangasa »

I have ripped and encoded quite a number of my DVDs (only do for DVDs I own) via HandBrake mostly for use with Apple TV Take 1 but am curious if I want to copy them to an iPad do I have to re-encode them separately for iPad or can my Apple TV encodes work with iPad? To avoid compatibility errors with Apple TV 1 I am NOT USING the Large File Size option. For Apple TV encodes I have frame rate set to same as source. They all work fine on my Apple TV question is can I play these DVD rips encoded for Apple TV on an iPad? Also does the new 3rd generation iPad with Retina Display have a new screen resolution needing new preset or is existing iPad preset fine for even the iPad 3?
Deleted User 11865

Re: Question About Encoding: iPad & Apple TV 1

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

maneeshpangasa wrote:To avoid compatibility errors with Apple TV 1 I am NOT USING the Large File Size option.
Yes, it's very well-known that the AppleTV 1 can't handle "Large file size". This is why HandBrake's AppleTV preset enables it; we want to make sure our preset won't work on the AppleTV (otherwise it's not fun).
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Use the atv 1 preset. Period. for one thing ... the atv 1 cannot handle weightp in the advance options which the ipad preset does use. Trust me, you won't like it (fades will turn into a wicked nightmare).

Just use the atv 1 preset. Oh, and Rodeo is right of course. atv 1 uses 64 bit mp4 (Large file size) for a reason.
maneeshpangasa

Post by maneeshpangasa »

Alright thanks. I encoded a DVD with Large File Size once by mistake (didn't read the warning about Apple TV 1) and the movie copied to my Apple TV however, there was no picture. The movie had sound but no picture so puzzled what went wrong I looked at the settings and realized I had Large File Size enabled and saw the warning when mousing over it. After posting this question by the way I read someone had asked about playing movies encoded for Apple TV on an iPad and it said it would indeed work. In fact I read that the incompatibility issues that do exist for playing a movie among different Apple devices largely fall into two groups of devices: video encoded for the iPhone 4 and newer, the iPad, newer iPod Touches and Apple TV (1st-3rd gen) won't play on older click wheel model iPods or older iPhones & iPod Touches because of a codec compatibility issue. Any video encoded for Apple TV or iPad is play-able on either but as noted using iPad preset may cause fades in the video. I just wanted to know if an Apple TV encoded video would play on an iPad Iso I don't have to have separate encodes for both devices) and apparently am glad to know the answer is yes. Thanks for all the help!

unless the video is encoded for earlier iPhones (before iPhone 4), early (1st and 2nd gen iPod Touch etc), and the click wheel iPod