HandBrake 0.9.8 Released

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
HandBrake

HandBrake 0.9.8 Released

Post by HandBrake »

Discuss the 0.9.8 Release here...

This release fixes a number of extra bugs that cropped up in 0.9.7.

Comments and feedback here. Please keep it civil ;)

Support requests in the appropiate forum please. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details

Bugs repots should go in the bugs forum. Please read the *** READ ME before posting bugs *** sticky before posting.
randomreuben
Veteran User

Re: HandBrake 0.9.8 Released

Post by randomreuben »

Yay? **Ducks tomatoes and other rotten fruit thrown by the HandBrake team.**

Ever since I understood that the nightlies are pretty stable and have new features added all the time, I've stopped relying on the stable version for anything. Especially because if ever a bug report gets posted, we have to post the log from a nightly instead.

Is there any chance we could get a rolling stable release instead of a point release? Maybe this is more applicable to Ubuntu and its PPA setup rather than the WIndows or Mac versions.

I may be talking crazy here, so just ignore my nonsense.

Let me say though that I love watching the timeline to see what new features and changes are implemented by the HandBrake team. Man, you guys are dedicated and talented! Thank you again for such a wonderful product!
HelloWorldCool

Post by HelloWorldCool »

Hooray good job Handbrake!

I haven't seen updates like these in months. :D
vertigo_2_20

Post by vertigo_2_20 »

I noticed detelecine went from default to off on the high profile. Was this intentional, and if so why? I seem to remember when I read up on it a while back it was recommended to set it to default, hence it being that way in the preset.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

It caused issues with interlaced sources, especially PAL.
Nostromo

Post by Nostromo »

Very excited to see a new release! I don't own a WD device myself but for all I know, I might in the future.

Clean question, is the WD problem resolved?

Sincere thanks, Rodeo, many many many thanks for your efforts and the others on the team, they are REALLY appreciated.

In the end, what's important to the community is to be able to make MKVs that will work in the future.
Last edited by Nostromo on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 11865

Nope, you'd still have to remux with mkvmerge, AFAIK.
Nostromo

Post by Nostromo »

Rodeo wrote:Nope, you'd still have to remux with mkvmerge, AFAIK.
Thanks for your answer, I realise the MKV standard is complex and you're not the only party involved. Personally I don't understand anything of it, I'm just extremely thankful someone who has a clue is taking care of business.

Thank you for what you're doing. Sincerely. Handbrake is just awesome :)

Love you man!
pecinko

Post by pecinko »

Just jumping in to say thanks.

I would probably be forever lost in transcoding problems which I had with pretty much every app out there, before I found Handbrake several years ago. Didn't look at any other transcoder ever since.

Many thanks for point releases as well, much better than waiting a year for major ones.
dack70

Post by dack70 »

I am a noob, so please be kind. I used MakeMKV to create MKV files for 2 movies I own. The movie is 300 and one is a Blu-Ray and one is a DVD (widescreen). I selected High Profile preset for both. Both play fine on my Win 7 PC, but only the Blu-ray version can stream to either my Xbox360 or my GTV. I tried messing with the presets for the DVD, but could not find a combo that allowed me to stream the resulting file. Is there a known problem with this particular DVD? I'll try a different DVD tomorrow.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

More likely to be an issue with the software being used to stream to your Xbox than with the source.
stikky

Post by stikky »

Again I have to say it, great job! One of, if not *the* most amazing pieces of software.

Appreciate it, cheers!
dutyguy

Post by dutyguy »

Hey there. I am running Mac OSX 10.6.8 and Handbrake notified me of an update to which I in turn submitted. However, afterward it said I could not open this application on this "type of mac". Is this a 32-bit vs. 64-bit issue (I am assuming this was a 64-bit release and I'm not capable of booting 64-bit)? And will there be anymore support for the 32-bit users?

Excellent software, btw. :D
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

32builds are not provided, but you can compile them yourself if you choose.

Users on machines that are 32bit only are in a very small minority so it's not worth wasting time trying to support them.
dutyguy

Post by dutyguy »

Thanks for the reply. If that's the case, then how was I able to use all previous builds/updates? Did 32-bit users switch to 64-bit in one full swoop over the summer? :roll: Maybe not trying to be a [Censored], but you sounded like one. :?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It wasn't meant to sound harsh, but it's reality.

Apples lineup switched to 64bit processors back in late 06, early 07. Starting from 0.9.6 onwards, 5+ years later, we started providing only 64bit builds. I'm guessing you are currently on 0.9.5 which was the last build we published a 32bit update for.

This is a small open source project. We focus what little resources we have on the majority and don't worry so much about legacy.
justincase
Bright Spark User

Post by justincase »

Hi, Handbreake is a wonderfull software.
But i missed the function for a concret viedeo size in the new version.
Only "constant quality" and "average bitrate" are avalible. These function is very importend for me. Now i download the old version.
But why handbreake loose these function?
Greetz @ all.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23912
justincase wrote:These function is very importend for me.
99 times out of 100, that phrase means, "I have absolutely no dependency on that feature, other than I'm used to using it", in which case our response is, "well get used to this newer, better feature instead", namely constant quality.

Why do you use target file size over one of the other two options?
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

Oh no!!!! Not again!!!!
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

This question has been answered many times already. It even has it's own thread... let's not bring this up again.
justincase
Bright Spark User

Post by justincase »

jamiemlaw wrote:viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23912
justincase wrote:These function is very importend for me.
99 times out of 100, that phrase means, "I have absolutely no dependency on that feature, other than I'm used to using it", in which case our response is, "well get used to this newer, better feature instead", namely constant quality.

Why do you use target file size over one of the other two options?

I ripped all my scifi series and 1 gb is a perfect size for one. and its in the end better to calculate how many sessions i can safe on my harddisk. Or other example, on many harddisk formations can get it problems if the file are bigger then 4 GB. In conclusion, i will know how big the file in the end is befor I start the compression.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

So there's no hard and fast rule like, "this episode needs to fit on a disk that's 1GB"? Assuming you're talking about 45-minute episodes here, you could get pretty much the exact same results by typing 3000 in the average bitrate field. And if you encode a 22-minute episode (half the length) it'll come out at half the size.

That's if you really care about being able to manage file size. Personally I equate worrying about file size to worrying about the thickness of the books you buy for a bookshelf, so you know how many books you can fit on it. Nobody does that.

(Still assuming DVDs here) if you use the quality setting, unless your videos are really grainy, your episodes will almost certainly come out smaller than 1GB each, with imperceptible quality loss from if you'd used target file size.
justincase
Bright Spark User

Post by justincase »

Ok we want no so much write to this topic. But the importent question is. Why this option deleted? I like the option, i want that all my episode are in the same size because i want it so. looks better by 2000 files, or i wanted perfect for a stick or or or, but anyway. I red in the forum it give a excel to calculate. ok but why can Handbreake, one of the nicest and best programs i ever saw, this not longer. Some People like these function and we can speak long why and why not. It would be very nice if these function come back. So long i use the old version :-(.
thx4theseTOOL:)
Deleted User 11865

justincase wrote:But the importent question is. Why this option deleted?
Can't use forum search? We must have answered that 10 to 20 times already.