H.265

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
FaiT

H.265

Post by FaiT »

I googled and forum searched but didn't find anything relevant.

Are there any plans for h.265 in handbrake. I'm guessing that would be tied to the x.264 guys adopting it. Do you know if they intend to? Or do you (handbrake staff) have a desire to incorporate it?
Deleted User 11865

Re: H.265

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

If we're still around by the time a reasonably good, GPL-compatible encoder implementation shows up, I'm sure there will be interest in adding encoding support to HandBrake, yes.
FaiT

Post by FaiT »

Thanks for the reply and good news. Is there reason to doubt you will?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I suspect the timeframe we are talking about for this is atleast 1 or 2 years. People move on. It's not uncommon for small open projects to end up abandoned or lose a skillset necessary to add such an encoder.
FaiT

Post by FaiT »

Ah, yeah RL can have a big impact on your priorities. I really hope that the team attracts as much talent as it may lose though - it is, after all, pretty much the gold standard (especially on linux).
alehel
Experienced

Post by alehel »

Well, apparently someone is working on x265 (http://code.google.com/p/x265/). It is far from being near ready though, but it is nice to see that people have already started looking into it. Apparently the developer was involved with x264 (http://cn.linkedin.com/in/chenm003), so this does seem to be a serious effort.

[EDIT] I've been looking through the change log and it looks like it has seen active development since december without any major breaks in the mean time, so it definately looks like the developer is serious about this.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Hmm, it's license is not GPL-Compatible. Infact, I don't think it's really a valid license for software at all if I understand the GNU site correctly.

Edit: Looks like the license is just incorrect on the site. It's GPL after all.

Edit2: Looks like it is a very long way off being usable. Still think my original estimate of 1 to 2 years down the line before we'll see anything worth using probably isn't too far off the ball.
alehel
Experienced

Post by alehel »

s55 wrote:Edit2: Looks like it is a very long way off being usable. Still think my original estimate of 1 to 2 years down the line before we'll see anything worth using probably isn't too far off the ball.
I'm guessing no less than 2 years myself, but it is nice to know that some work has started already :). My current computer would probably be to slow for an h.265 encode anyway :p. I remember when I used Handbrake to encode videos for my iPod 5G on my eMac 1ghz computer when the iPod video was first released. I was doing 640x480 (or were they 320x240? I can't remember anymore), and it would take almost a day to complete. Its amazing that I'm now getting 20 fps for 1080p encodes, and I still get unpatient waiting for them to finish :P
mcpish

Post by mcpish »

Wow this is the first time I've heard of h265. I just looked it up on wikipedia. So it's supposed to be 2X as efficient. So right now I'm encoding my 720p rips (1280x720) at 3000k/sec with 2-pass and am happy with the results. That means I'll be able to do the same thing at about 1500k/sec. HD quality video at only 1500kbits/sec, that's incredible.