Subtitles from Bluray are still not recognised

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
magic900

Subtitles from Bluray are still not recognised

Post by magic900 »

Version 0.9.5. seems perfect for encoding HD files from Bluray. The only thing that does not seem to work is to include subtitles.
Handbrake does not list the available subtitle files in the subtitles section. This is especially annoying when there are lots of forced subtitles in a movie (e.g. Avatar).
Will there be another update shortly or does anyone know how to fix this issue?
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Subtitles from Bluray are still not recognised

Post by s55 »

They are not supported at this time.

We don't have, nor have we ever had a release schedule. Releases are done when the code is stable, there is interesting stuff to release, and folk have time.
It may turn up in a nightly if when/if someone has free time or someone has an interest in it.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Rome wasn't built in a day.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

In the interim, you can always locate an external subtitle file for your Blu-ray encodes. I did this for the Na'vi dialogue in Avatar.
RoverTX
Novice

Post by RoverTX »

PG subtitles are actually supported by MKVtoolnix for remuxing. So if you really need them and can't find a .srt you like, demux them out, then run everything through handbrake, and then remux them back in to the file you ran through handbrake. I have done this a few times and it works perfectly. The only issue with PG subtitles is they don't really have a real cut off point and VLC and XBMC(which runs off what VLC runs on in brief) can deal with them but can leave them on screen for a bit too long. You can fix some of these issues by changing them to .sub/.idx subtitles but there are transfer issues. In short they are kind of a pain in the ass...
gonzus

Post by gonzus »

[As a coincidence, it has been exactly one year since the last post to this thread...]

I was wondering whether there is any change in the status for subtitle support for Bluray disks. I know 0.9.5 does not support them; how about the development versions? Is it on any developer's tray to add support for these? One can only hope...

In the meantime, what I do is to extract the SUP subtitles from the ripped Bluray, convert them to SUB and merge them into the MKV produced by Handbrake. It works really well, it just adds a few extra steps into the workflow.

To the Handbrake developers, thanks again for an outstanding piece of software.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

No BD subs yet. It's been on my list of things to do for a long time. But I just haven't gotten around to it. On a brighter note, someone else pinged me on IRC asking questions about how he might integrate some BD sub rendering code he is working on. So if his code is in good shape and he doesn't disappear, there may be some progress soonish.

I told him he should focus on merging after the release we are trying to get out the door. And there are pending changes (not committed yet) to how we handle subtitles that he has to look at.
gonzus

Post by gonzus »

Great, thanks for the heads up, John. Looking forward to it.
dimaestro

Post by dimaestro »

If this gets added, you'd be my new hero. :) Been searching for easy subtitles for a long time. I keep forgetting to scan for them in titles I haven't seen yet, and find that I am missing them in many movies.
compudude

Post by compudude »

JohnAStebbins wrote:No BD subs yet. It's been on my list of things to do for a long time. But I just haven't gotten around to it. On a brighter note, someone else pinged me on IRC asking questions about how he might integrate some BD sub rendering code he is working on. So if his code is in good shape and he doesn't disappear, there may be some progress soonish.

I told him he should focus on merging after the release we are trying to get out the door. And there are pending changes (not committed yet) to how we handle subtitles that he has to look at.
You'll have to let me know who to buy the beer for (other than yourself, of course) once the feature is implemented... subs are definitely the biggest thorn in my workflow!!! :D
twitch2021

Post by twitch2021 »

Totally looking forward to this potential implementation. My gf is deaf and I REALLY need a simple way to get quality subtitles (aka the ones that come on the disc) out of the MKV and into the MP4/M4V that I'm going to stream to my Apple TV. I'm fine even if they're burned-in. This isn't me [Censored] that it's not already here though. It's me cheering you on for keeping it in your sights ;).
uclajames

Post by uclajames »

Any luck in making progress on getting that added? I have noticed a lot of posts regarding troubles with workflow for getting BluRay subtitles. It would be so awesome to have that ability!
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

uclajames wrote:Any luck in making progress on getting that added? I have noticed a lot of posts regarding troubles with workflow for getting BluRay subtitles. It would be so awesome to have that ability!
PGS support should land in the nightly builds within a few days, maybe a couple weeks at most.
uclajames

Post by uclajames »

Wow, sweet! Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between the nightly builds and the official release version? Is it just that the nightly builds are considered beta?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Generally, any software version less than 1.0 is considered beta.

The nightly releases feature updates, fixes, and improvements over the official release that came out prior.

SC
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Smithcraft wrote:The nightly releases feature updates, fixes, and improvements over the official release that came out prior.
SC
... and sometimes some new bugs. Buyer beware.

Bluray subtitles support has just been committed and should be available in the next nightly build.
https://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/4605
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Of course! It's software after all!

SC
uclajames

Post by uclajames »

I see that the new build with BluRay subtitle support is up now... I can't wait to try it out this weekend! THANKS!!!
nehalem

Post by nehalem »

So currently I rip my blu-rays to play on my Apple TV. What does PGS subtitle support mean for this use case? If I understand it correctly PGS subtitles are images as opposed to srt which are text files that are overlaid on the video at the times specified by the srt. Since Apple TV's don't support image based subtitles (I think?) does this mean the new version of handbrake will burn the subtitle image into the video? Or maybe it just doesn't work for my use case?

I would be more than happy with the burn in support if that is the case since I only want subtitles on foreign language parts.
hbernier

Post by hbernier »

nehalem wrote:So currently I rip my blu-rays to play on my Apple TV. What does PGS subtitle support mean for this use case? If I understand it correctly PGS subtitles are images as opposed to srt which are text files that are overlaid on the video at the times specified by the srt. Since Apple TV's don't support image based subtitles (I think?) does this mean the new version of handbrake will burn the subtitle image into the video? Or maybe it just doesn't work for my use case?
Are you ripping them on an apple computer? Burning the subtitle in is the only option under linux for bluray PGS subtitles. This particular functionality seems to work based on a test I performed last night. My cursory inspection reveals the burned in subtitles are well timed.

I'm using Handbrake r4613 compiled from subversion.
nehalem wrote: I would be more than happy with the burn in support if that is the case since I only want subtitles on foreign language parts.
I don't know whether the 'forced' subtitle option actually works, but the check box in the GUI does seems to check and uncheck. I don't have appropriate media to test that particular functionality.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

PGS passthru is possible to the MKV container. The MacGUI does not yet forbid you from passing PGS through to MP4 (it will, eventually), but libhb will sanitize your settings, converting the first passthru track to burn-in and dropping the others.