Apple TV 3 and Blu-Ray 1080p - Best Encode

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
nicolasonline

Apple TV 3 and Blu-Ray 1080p - Best Encode

Post by nicolasonline »

Hello,

I saw three threads here, but they've all been started before the release of the Apple TV 3.

I own a bunch of Blu-Rays and I would like to make copies to watch on my Apple TV 3.

Unfortunately I have tried the MakeMKV -> Handbrake Apple TV 2 present (and changed size back to 1080).

The result is disappointing. In other words, just bumping up the Apple TV 2 preset, doesn't do it.

Is there a better way?

Any advice would help, bitrate, CF, other preset?

Thanks,

Nick
Deleted User 11865

Re: Apple TV 3 and Blu-Ray 1080p - Best Encode

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Please define "disappointing".
rcork

Post by rcork »

I have to disagree. I used the ATV2 preset with 1920x1080 size and they play great on the new AppleTV. The also play back perfectly on my AppleTV v2 after i've updated to the latest software. No more stuttering or skipping frames.

I also tried using the High Profile preset and it gave me a slightly smaller file but at a much slower encode speed than the ATV2 preset.
nicolasonline

Post by nicolasonline »

Well I compared the final file to a bunch of things.

1. the original blu-ray, which i know isn't gonna be close obviously (50GB vs. 10GB). but it's further than I thought.
2. and most importantly to some of the new 1080p iTunes files. the same movie, as an iTunes encode is better. less banding, less pixelization in movement.

In other words, the iTunes file 1080p is very close almost indistinguishable from the original blu-ray when put side to side.

The apple tv 2 preset file with a modified size to 1080p is pretty far off the iTunes file (which is incidentally a smaller file size almost half! 3.9 GB vs 7.7 GB)

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to change parameters in the advanced section.

Funny thing is as I encode with the normal apple TV 2 preset without any modification (meaning 720p). It looks great.

Do you think this warrants a new preset release or even a version release of handbrake for the Apple TV 3's 1080p? Since I'm assuming a fairly good number of users may make use of it?

Thanks for your help,

Nick
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Yes, you are doing something wrong. Without posting the encode logs, we have no iDea of what you are really doing.

Also, can you please clarify why the final file size is relevant to how good the file is?

SC
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

nicolasonline wrote:Well I compared the final file to a bunch of things.

1. the original blu-ray, which i know isn't gonna be close obviously (50GB vs. 10GB). but it's further than I thought.
2. and most importantly to some of the new 1080p iTunes files. the same movie, as an iTunes encode is better. less banding, less pixelization in movement.

In other words, the iTunes file 1080p is very close almost indistinguishable from the original blu-ray when put side to side.

The apple tv 2 preset file with a modified size to 1080p is pretty far off the iTunes file (which is incidentally a smaller file size almost half! 3.9 GB vs 7.7 GB)

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to change parameters in the advanced section.

Funny thing is as I encode with the normal apple TV 2 preset without any modification (meaning 720p). It looks great.

Do you think this warrants a new preset release or even a version release of handbrake for the Apple TV 3's 1080p? Since I'm assuming a fairly good number of users may make use of it?

Thanks for your help,

Nick
The iTunes 1080p file was created with a MUCH higher quality source than your Bluray. No getting around that... a new preset isn't going to work miracles.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Both Normal / High Profile should work on ATv3. Choose a trade off:

High Profile = Smaller Files, Longer encode time
Normal = Bigger files, faster encode time.

No real need for a new preset.
nicolasonline

Post by nicolasonline »

I'll post the log as soon as I get back.

Here are a couple of articles from are technica that have inspired me to get as close as possible to the best 1080p (close to iTunes and to blu-ray) as possible.

Thanks for all your replies.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/ ... ession.ars

http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/201 ... ootout.ars

What do you think?
nicolasonline

Post by nicolasonline »

Ok so the Handbrake team posted a sticky, and answered my question!

This is awesome, what a difference it makes doing it either the Normal or High Profile way rather than choosing Apple TV 2 and bumping up size to 1080.

Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23648

My encodes look pristine

Thanks Handbrake!
Deleted User 5579

Post by Deleted User 5579 »

nicolasonline wrote:Ok so the Handbrake team posted a sticky, and answered my question!

This is awesome, what a difference it makes doing it either the Normal or High Profile way rather than choosing Apple TV 2 and bumping up size to 1080.

Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23648

My encodes look pristine

Thanks Handbrake!
Did you keep the CQ at 20 (default) for this test?
nicolasonline

Post by nicolasonline »

no i basically bumped it up to 16. i know i'll probably get a lot of 'you're an idiot' or 'there's no point' but for the handful of movies i absolutely adore, a few extra gigs won't hurt in my terabytes of storage.

but i honestly don't see a difference showing with the 18 or 20, except maybe if you're pausing in high movement scenes or something.

thank you for existing handbrake.
Deleted User 5579

Post by Deleted User 5579 »

nicolasonline wrote:no i basically bumped it up to 16. i know i'll probably get a lot of 'you're an idiot' or 'there's no point' but for the handful of movies i absolutely adore, a few extra gigs won't hurt in my terabytes of storage.

but i honestly don't see a difference showing with the 18 or 20, except maybe if you're pausing in high movement scenes or something.

thank you for existing handbrake.
Oh okay. I usually stick to 18, which for me looks great on 60" or higher screen.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

nicolasonline wrote:no i basically bumped it up to 16
What size are your encodes coming out at?
nicolasonline

Post by nicolasonline »

actually let me clarify, the only movie i used 16 for was lord of the rings. every other one was at 18 or 20. average sizes are def over 10gb using 16. But that's using high profile, no idea how much it would be with normal.
rachel
Novice

Post by rachel »

nicolasonline wrote:actually let me clarify, the only movie i used 16 for was lord of the rings. every other one was at 18 or 20. average sizes are def over 10gb using 16. But that's using high profile, no idea how much it would be with normal.
Slight topic-hijack but what did you do with the subtitles there; as that's a bit of a block for me putting all my bluray movies into appletv3 form. For other players, after the handbrake encode I use mkvmerge to re-mux in the PGS subtitle track; but i expect appletv3 won't recognise PGS tracks and i'm pretty sure it won't handle MKVs anyway.

Is it just a matter of tracking down .srt files that run at the right speed? Or is there a better way I don't know?