rename profiles please

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

simonmcnair

rename profiles please

Post by simonmcnair »

Hi all,
I was thinking that the profile options are not too intuitive and I was wondering if a re-jig would work ?

The reason that I say this is that 'Regular' and 'Legacy' seem to be misnomers as you'll still be playing it back on a 'device' anyway. Please can you rename the following ?:

Regular High profile -> (BLU-RAY)
Regular Normal -> (DVD)
Universal -> (Compatible)
ipod Legacy -> (iPod <3rd gen). Just an eg I don't know if 3rd gen is correct or not

What are Classic and/or Normal for ? How do we know ?

My situation is a case in point. I'm encoding BLU-ray for a macmini on OSX with crystal HD to a DTS amp. What setting do I use ? I'm currently using High profile and adding the DTS-passthru and DTS-HD audio settings (or AC3 if DTS is not present) . Is this right ?

I'm just saying that it would make your lives easier, less questions in the forums about what are the ideal blu-ray settings if they were described in the preset as a blu-ray setting then it could stop the question from being asked.

Generally speaking people will rip a DVD or Blu-ray to play on a device this would indicate to me that anything 'normal' would be dvd quality and anything 'high' would be a HD encode with bells and whistles audio.

The device (eg ipad 3) would indicate if upscaling and/or other funky options were chosen ?

I'm just trying to give you my 2p (or 2c) on the UI design ;-). I know Universal, Normal,High & Classic are catch-all's for non specific devices, but They don't describe what they do very well.

thank you.

Simon
Deleted User 11865

Re: rename profiles please

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Except the High Profile preset isn't a Blu-ray specific preset - it should work for Blu-ray, DVD and other sources. Same thing for Normal (which basically a faster, lower quality, slightly more compatible version of the High Profile preset).

"iPod Legacy" could be renamed to "iPod 5G", and I guess Universal could be renamed "Apple Universal".
simonmcnair

Post by simonmcnair »

Rodeo,
Good points well made.

-So why is it called high profile rather than 'High Quality' ?
-when should I use high quality over normal quality ?
-And the purpose of classic ?
-Surely anything that isn't present generation should be prefixed with 'legacy' ?

I'm guessing I'm talking to myself and you find this obvious. Time to get myself a brighter brain.

Simon
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

"Profile" is an established term, which refers to the amount of computation required to decode and play a video file. Older, less powerful devices do not have the speed to decode video files with lots of B-frames, or CABAC entropy encoding in real time, whereas newer devices can. The higher the profile, the more computation is required to decode the video.

Profile generally doesn't have much of a bearing on quality: moreso on file size.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

simonmcnair wrote:-And the purpose of classic ?
HandBrake's original settings (i.e. the defaults in 0.7.x or something like that.
simonmcnair wrote:-Surely anything that isn't present generation should be prefixed with 'legacy' ?
Legacy means legacy presets, not legacy devices.
simonmcnair

Post by simonmcnair »

I'm glad we came to no conclusion on that then ;-)

my 2p, the profile names are still confusing even when you've explained them. I guess that's a limitation of my brain and it makes sense to everyone else. Never mind eh.