Blu-ray to Appletv2 - Step by Step Guide

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
pusta

Blu-ray to Appletv2 - Step by Step Guide

Post by pusta »

Does any have or know of a step by step guide for ripping and converting blu-ray disks for the appletv2? I am currently ripping ones I own via AnyDVD and then converting the video file via Handbrake, but my audio is always screwed up (sometimes missing, sometimes foreign) or I don't get the complete movie. I think I am missing a step in here, just look for some help.

Thanks!
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Blu-ray to Appletv2 - Step by Step Guide

Post by TedJ »

Try opening the folder above BDMV and let HandBrake parse the disc structure like it does for DVD.

You may find MakeMKV easier to use (free while in beta).
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Please post an activity log.
pusta

Post by pusta »

TedJ wrote:Try opening the folder above BDMV and let HandBrake parse the disc structure like it does for DVD.

Well I knew it would be something simple, but not that simple :-) That seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the help!
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

pusta wrote:
TedJ wrote:Try opening the folder above BDMV and let HandBrake parse the disc structure like it does for DVD.

Well I knew it would be something simple, but not that simple :-) That seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the help!
Gets more difficult if the disc features a forced subtitle track, but overall the process has gotten much simpler since I started playing around with encoding Bluray sources.
pusta

Post by pusta »

nightstrm wrote: Gets more difficult if the disc features a forced subtitle track, but overall the process has gotten much simpler since I started playing around with encoding Bluray sources.
Agreed, I assume I'll run into this with the Star Wars blu-rays
compudude

Post by compudude »

Do the Star Wars BRs have subs that aren't hard coded in? What's the language code for "Huttese"? LOL
pusta

Post by pusta »

Follow up question. What about Blu-Rays with only DTS 5.1 Audio (for example the Simpsons Movie) Is the only option to select the 2.0 track? I assume DTS cannot be re-encoded as Dolby Digital, and the AppleTV does not support DTS.
mac_man_ad
Experienced

Post by mac_man_ad »

of course you can re-encode it. well, with the exception that HB cannot yet decode the newer DTS types, but DTS (and AC3) are cool and the new types just append extra channels or corrections on to an underlying old DTS type, which HB can decode.

so, in short, you can re-encode dts to ac3 (dolby) but you may incur more loss than maybe you expect. it will still not be noticable unless you have an epic sound system.