dependencies building deb from source

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rachel
Novice

dependencies building deb from source

Post by rachel »

Quick background: handbrake-snapshots oneiric ppa builds no longer work properly in the precise alpha. This is not a nag about that, I know you don't support ubuntu alpha. :-) In fact the only failure I could see was that it wouldn't open the Picture Settings dialog (or it opened invisible) in the Unity desktop. Still worked fine when run remotely from another machine.

Anyway, checking out svn and building from source on the precise system resolved this, no code changes needed. But I wanted a .deb build to put it in the menu etc. So I followed some old instructions I found which seemed to be basically:

Code: Select all

cd hb-trunk
./configure --prefix=/usr
cd build
make
make pkg.create.deb
This all worked, but when I tried to install it using dpkg -i, it complained that it couldn't meet the dependencies of libwebkit-1.0-2 and libnotify1. dpkg -i --force-depends worked, and I have a fully-functional handbrake again. (ubuntu precise currently has libwebkit-3.0-0 and libnotify4. Handbrake seems happy to be built and run against these as far as I can tell)

So this is a report about the dependencies set in the generated .deb package. Googling around, it looks like this issue's been around for a couple of ubuntu versions already. Presumably the versions packaged in the ppa have this fixed in some fashion, as there's no problem there. So just wondering if the pkg.create.deb target needs to have a little update so it'll accept newer versions of these libraries, rather than only exact versions? :-)
rachel
Novice

Re: dependencies building deb from source

Post by rachel »

hm, well, --force-depends turns out not to be a solution because subsequently nothing else can be installed or removed until the 'broken' package is fixed. not sure how it works from the ppa when that lists the same dependencies. Never mind; some bit of apt-get/dpkg wizardry i don't know I guess; fortuitously, and mysteriously as presumably it's still built against oneiric, the latest ppa version seems to have resolved the issue anyway, so not sufficiently motivated to chase it down.