Why is DRC 1.0 not default?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
alehel
Experienced

Why is DRC 1.0 not default?

Post by alehel »

I was browsing the handbrake wiki and was reading the section about DRC. It says that DRC 1.0 will use compression hints that are embedded in the AC3 file, while 0 (the default) doesn't do anything. I was wondering if there is a reason why the presets all (as far as I can tell) use 0 as default, thereby ignoring the hints embedded in AC3 files.

Also, it might be an idea to get rid of the line stating that Handbrake doesn't support gain. Isn't this now supported in all there GUIs (Mac, win and lin)?
Deleted User 11865

Re: Why is DRC 1.0 not default?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The nighties haven't been put into an official "stable" release yet.

Regarding DRC, you lose some dynamic range if you apply DRC (even using the hints provided in the file) - you may be able to hear voices better, but it's not optimal for a "home theater" setup.
alehel
Experienced

Re: Why is DRC 1.0 not default?

Post by alehel »

Rodeo wrote:The nighties haven't been put into an official "stable" release yet.

Regarding DRC, you lose some dynamic range if you apply DRC (even using the hints provided in the file) - you may be able to hear voices better, but it's not optimal for a "home theater" setup.
I've got so used to using nightly builds that I never considered that gain was not in the stable.

Thanks for the quick response. Makes more sense now :)