Pan's Labyrinth?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
cknyckny

Pan's Labyrinth?

Post by cknyckny »

I tried ripping Pan's Labyrinth into Handbrake. I first ripped my DVD using MTR which created the video_ts (full disk mode). When I import the video_ts folder into Handbrake it scans around 36 chapters and there is only one option which is 1hr 59m 06s. No other chapters are close. However when ripped a) I get audio drop out (which I'm not concerned on troubleshooting just yet) and b). I seem to get the director's cut. When I play the video_ts folder I ripped in VLC, I can choose director's or regular.

Any ideas?
Larold

Post by Larold »

I have the same problem. I only get the Director's VO.

HELP! Please.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

RREEEAAADDD!!!!

Stickies are there for a reason. I'll give you a hint...You may be missing a title?
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

Also note that the last ~20 minutes of the movie (region 1 disc) are 29.976 fps/interlaced where the beginning is 23.976 progressive.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

None of the movie (DVD) is progressive... (and its defiantly not mixed)
Cavalicious wrote:Your right about PAL (as I always work with NTSC)....But...You will be hard-pressed to fine one DVD that was encoded 480p or 576p. The DVD Mastering spec calls for 480i or 576i. For one, so all DVD players can play them (Progressive DVD players came later).

Not to worry, 90% of the people on the planet thought 480p at one time or another. But since I always have this argument here on this Board...

"...There's enormous confusion about whether DVD video is progressive or interlaced. Here's the one true answer: Progressive-source video (such as from film) is usually encoded on DVD as interlaced field pairs that can be reinterleaved by a progressive player to recreate the original progressive video..."

Here is some reading for the masses
Apple_Doc

Post by Apple_Doc »

Actually, it appears he is right. I've run into this problem too. It can clearly been seen in both the preview pane and the final encode that the movie switches to interlaced video near the end.

It's quite annoying, and with Handbrake's admittedly poor deinterlacing routine, I'm going to give VisualHub a shot at the end. I just need to learn what ffmpeg flags I need to pass along to select the chapter offset for the main title. From there, a simply copy-n-paste and save with passthrough audio and video in QuickTime Pro should give me a fine MP4.

I'll pass along the results if anyone is interested.
Apple_Doc

Post by Apple_Doc »

Larold wrote:I have the same problem. I only get the Director's VO.

HELP! Please.
As far as this goes, you are picking the wrong audio source. The movie is in 5.1 Spanish, with subtitles. The only English track is the director commentary.

Guillermo Del Toro is a highly entertaining person, and I would recommend taking both audio sources and simply turning off the second track in QuickTime (you need Pro, I think) and saving a full MP4 using Passthrough. Using this method it should play fine in iTunes, QuickTime, an iPod, etc., while still allowing you to turn on the commentary in QuickTime Pro.