**Updated** Bluray Ripping & Encoding (A Total Mac Solution)

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bellboy

Re: Bluray Ripping & Encoding (A Total Mac Solution)

Post by bellboy »

Adult films? Oh my! :oops:

I don't really need the highest quality sound so I don't follow everything shown by the OP, but for almost all of my rips I use two tools: MakeMKV and Handbrake (usually just MakeMKV). Where it gets sticky is when there are subtitles to deal with. I'm hoping that sometime soon HB will be able to burn in the bitmapped subs in MP4s (H.264) as well as MKVs--I'm drooling for that one.

Someone (maybe I'll attempt it when I know more) should add a definitive guide to dealing with the different types and uses of subs and how Handbrake works with them in different encoding formats. The wiki as of now just doesn't cut it for me.
jonesuki

Post by jonesuki »

May I ask for the screen captures of the first post? I only see foggy ( :oops: I mean froggy) images :(
Many thx.
Last edited by jonesuki on Mon May 02, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

All screen captures show fine in my browser...
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Cavalicious wrote:All screen captures show fine in my browser...
Same here.
jonesuki

Post by jonesuki »

I only see this:
and I suppose I should not register the domain (handbrake.fr?) with the imageshack link.
Pls help. :?

Problem solved finally. A imageshack user account (not register the domain) is required to show the images. Simply sign up by clicking the sign up button at the top of the page in the froggy image http://bit.ly/imageshack-domain
Sluft

Re: **Updated** Bluray Ripping & Encoding (A Total Mac Solut

Post by Sluft »

I also use MakeMKV to rip the Blu-ray and then use Handbrake to convert the about 20 GB .mkv to a h.264 .mp4. I use the preinstalled regular -> normal preset. But if the result file is greater than 4 GB Quicktime or VLC are unable to read this file. Where is the problem with > 4 GB .mp4 files?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Now that's funny!

SC
LordoftheManor

Post by LordoftheManor »

What Blu-ray drives are you guys using with Mac and do they work well?
nikstar101

Post by nikstar101 »

I am using the LG BH10LS30 in my MacPro. It seems a really good drive, nice a quiet too.
p17blo

Post by p17blo »

Just thought I would add my comments about subs. I have experiemented with SOME of this but not all, so if anyone wants to confirm or deny that would be great.

So testing I have done is from my own Ripped BD which suing MakeMKV which I then converted, sometimes with HandBrake, sometime using the Vuze encoder (which I believe is ffmpeg) and the I use subler to import the sub file. Now the sub file I use up until this point has been downloaded SRT files. These are easy to minipulate and you can generally find a version of burned in subs for foreign language only scenes. The trouble can be the choice of encoding which can slow down or speed up playback (basically the frame rate difference between PAL and NSTC but I am sure I don't need to tell you this). Anyway, whether you have to manipulate the srt file yourself or the one that you find is correct subler will let you add them to your MP4 file which you can then select on or off (so technically not BURNED IN) when playing back on Apple TV or iTunes (and I assume anything else that support MP4 playback).

The following is what I haven't tested yet - I can capture a burned in track to the MKV during the makemkv process and I am sure that I have seen a Subtitle section in HB - I had hoped that this would make an SRT file that I could import using subler. When I get round to testing I will let you know unless someone else has either tested or can tell me how to get an SRT file from the source BD or the MKV file.

Paul
jesper

Post by jesper »

sorry guys I'm fairly new to this. Could you be a little more specific how to execute these commands.
Thanks,
J
In order to get MKVToolnix working in commandline you've got 2 choices :

1. Add the path to the tools to your $PATH variable

export PATH=/Applications/Mkvtoolnix.app/Contents/MacOS/:$PATH

i.e you could add this line to your .profile by doing this :

echo 'export PATH=/Applications/Mkvtoolnix.app/Contents/MacOS/:$PATH' >> ~/.profile

so everytime you fire up a shell you'll get your mkv tools

2. Or make links to the binaries

sudo ln -s /Applications/Mkvtoolnix.app/Contents/MacOS/mkv* /usr/local/bin/
spiderben25

Post by spiderben25 »

Hi,
thanks a lot for your guide.
Is it possible to get the "Bluray preset" you are using ?
And do I need to use one of these settings : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19426
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

spiderben25 wrote:Hi,
thanks a lot for your guide.
Is it possible to get the "Bluray preset" you are using ?
And do I need to use one of these settings : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19426
If you know how to edit your .plist file...

Code: Select all

<key>ChapterMarkers</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>Default</key>
		<integer>2</integer>
		<key>FileFormat</key>
		<string>MKV file</string>
		<key>Folder</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Mp4HttpOptimize</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>Mp4LargeFile</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>Mp4iPodCompatible</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureAutoCrop</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>PictureBottomCrop</key>
		<integer>132</integer>
		<key>PictureDeblock</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureDecomb</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureDecombCustom</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>PictureDecombDeinterlace</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>PictureDeinterlace</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureDeinterlaceCustom</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>PictureDenoise</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureDenoiseCustom</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>PictureDetelecine</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureDetelecineCustom</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>PictureHeight</key>
		<integer>816</integer>
		<key>PictureKeepRatio</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureLeftCrop</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureModulus</key>
		<integer>16</integer>
		<key>PicturePAR</key>
		<integer>2</integer>
		<key>PictureRightCrop</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureTopCrop</key>
		<integer>132</integer>
		<key>PictureWidth</key>
		<integer>1920</integer>
		<key>PresetBuildNumber</key>
		<string>2010120201</string>
		<key>PresetDescription</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>PresetName</key>
		<string>BluRay Preset</string>
		<key>Type</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>UsesMaxPictureSettings</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>UsesPictureFilters</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>UsesPictureSettings</key>
		<integer>2</integer>
		<key>VideoAvgBitrate</key>
		<string>1800</string>
		<key>VideoEncoder</key>
		<string>H.264 (x264)</string>
		<key>VideoFramerate</key>
		<string>Same as source</string>
		<key>VideoFrameratePFR</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>VideoGrayScale</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>VideoQualitySlider</key>
		<real>20</real>
		<key>VideoQualityType</key>
		<integer>2</integer>
		<key>VideoTargetSize</key>
		<string>700</string>
		<key>VideoTurboTwoPass</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>VideoTwoPass</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>x264Option</key>
		<string>b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50:ref=4:bframes=4:level=41</string>
	</dict>
spiderben25

Post by spiderben25 »

Thanks, It'll do the job.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Cavalicious wrote:If you know how to edit your .plist file...
FWIW, preset import/export has been around for a while now. It don't remember whether it was already there in 0.9.4, but it's definitely in 0.9.5. It should work reliably as long as you use the same version (0.9.5 to 0.9.5, svn4190 to svn4190 etc.) and stay on the Mac. It may or may not work with the LinGUI and/or WinGUI.
nutstick

Post by nutstick »

Any one know what's happening with the following: I rip a BD with MakeMkv. File is a large size (19-24gigs). Subtitles show up when played through VLC. Picture is great, no problems, all is good. Next I bring it into Handbrake and select the High Profile preset (because I want to maintain a decent picture quality but bring the file size down.) But, the subtitles don't show up (in the drop down menu of the Subtitles tab). I'm guessing I need to get the subtitle file from the BD somehow and bring it into Handbrake separately? Is there a guide for this that involves BD? (I've read the one for DVD involving Decryptor which doesn't support BD). Appreciate any help.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Did you read the first post in this thread?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

nutstick wrote:Any one know what's happening with the following: I rip a BD with MakeMkv. File is a large size (19-24gigs). Subtitles show up when played through VLC. Picture is great, no problems, all is good. Next I bring it into Handbrake and select the High Profile preset (because I want to maintain a decent picture quality but bring the file size down.) But, the subtitles don't show up (in the drop down menu of the Subtitles tab). I'm guessing I need to get the subtitle file from the BD somehow and bring it into Handbrake separately? Is there a guide for this that involves BD? (I've read the one for DVD involving Decryptor which doesn't support BD). Appreciate any help.
I guess you can lead a horse to water...but to have him [Censored] in it...
nutstick

Post by nutstick »

Yep, I did. Didn't know if my issue fell into the point blank realm of: A) Handbrake can't do it. B). There's a need for better guides. I guess I'll have to do a better job at absorbing more literally. Just looking for a way to wrap my head around all of the intricate details. I'll quietly go away now.
TechnoPhil

Post by TechnoPhil »

Hi there,
many thanks for this guide!
Monkeyat

Post by Monkeyat »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your guide, it's great ! I'd like to add that the new version 0.9.6 supports DTS-HD passthru !!! I've just tested it with a Bluray of The Lord Of The Rings ! :wink:
twitch2021

Post by twitch2021 »

So, I'm not crazy when I look at all this and think to myself "Still can't go from bluray to mp4 with the subtitles that came on the disc" am I? I saw nutstick's post a little ways up there and I'm thinking he was talking about keeping everything in an MKV container. Things are a little different when working with mp4, yes? I mean, I do have a process in place to extract the subtitles and convert them to SRT and import them into handbrake but it's [Censored] ridiculous (and on that note, if anyone's interested I can post it but you'll hate yourself after 2 movies). I just want to be sure I'm not missing something here that would make my life a bajillion times easier.
Abulia

Post by Abulia »

twitch2021 wrote:So, I'm not crazy when I look at all this and think to myself "Still can't go from bluray to mp4 with the subtitles that came on the disc" am I? I saw nutstick's post a little ways up there and I'm thinking he was talking about keeping everything in an MKV container. Things are a little different when working with mp4, yes? I mean, I do have a process in place to extract the subtitles and convert them to SRT and import them into handbrake but it's [Censored] ridiculous (and on that note, if anyone's interested I can post it but you'll hate yourself after 2 movies). I just want to be sure I'm not missing something here that would make my life a bajillion times easier.
I have to dig out my workflow from about a year ago but that sounds about right. You have to use some Windows tools to find forced subs, convert from PGS to SRT, then insert into the container (again, from memory). It's a PITA but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I've been thinking about putting together a guide for Blu-ray subs in a .m4v container, if nothing else so I don't have relearn how to do it every year when I queue up a new batch encode of my rips. :)
mic j

Post by mic j »

twitch2021 wrote:So, I'm not crazy when I look at all this and think to myself "Still can't go from bluray to mp4 with the subtitles that came on the disc" am I? I saw nutstick's post a little ways up there and I'm thinking he was talking about keeping everything in an MKV container. Things are a little different when working with mp4, yes? I mean, I do have a process in place to extract the subtitles and convert them to SRT and import them into handbrake but it's [Censored] ridiculous (and on that note, if anyone's interested I can post it but you'll hate yourself after 2 movies). I just want to be sure I'm not missing something here that would make my life a bajillion times easier.
What you do,kind of depends on the level of perfection you are willing to settle on (are there levels of perfection? :lol: ). I have found it much quicker to find the srt files at various websites, download them, and use Subler (or HB) to mux them in. Some think the quality is not as "pretty" (they look fine to me). Some say there are mis-spellings (if there are, I haven't noticed them). The only thing I have really run across is timing. Some times I have to adjust the offset to get them to sync perfectly with the audio. Not a big deal, but that's why I use Subler. I measure the offset using my cellphone stopwatch. Go into Subler and change the offset. Quick remux and it's done. It can be done in HB also, but I think it is a transcoding which can take a long while. But I've never actually done it that way, just know there is a subtitle offset adjustment.