ATV & iPAD2 settings

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
samj

ATV & iPAD2 settings

Post by samj »

I've read many posts about people suggesting to use the Apple TV2 preset as a good all around setting for both the ATV2 and iPad2.

There used to be some additional tweaks to these that helped quite a bit.

ref=3:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:me=hex:subq=7:b-adapt=2:8x8dct=1:weightb=0:trellis=0

62%CRF
Detelecine - on/default setting
Decomb - on - defualt setting

These were from Sept. 2009

Much has changed since then with Handbrake. Is there something better I should be using?

Thanks!
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: ATV & iPAD2 settings

Post by TedJ »

Those tweaks were for the original Apple TV using Handbrake 0.9.3, they simply do not apply to the ATV2 which doesn't have the same restrictions.
samj

Post by samj »

OK - but are there any tweaks you would do to the Apple TV 2 preset?

Do you agree that using the ATV2 preset is a good way to make videos for both iPad2 & ATV2? - or if my target is mostly the iPad2 or laptop screen - use iPad2 preset?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

The ATV2 preset would be good for use on both devices but if you're mostly going to be using on the iPad and computer the iPad preset may be better... smaller maximum frame size (1024x576 vs. 1280x720) and you forgo the AC3 passthrough track. This will result in a smaller encode.

You may want to add the x264 "slow" preset's advanced options string to your preset also, although that's probably as high as I'd go.

Code: Select all

ref=5:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:me=umh:subq=8:rc-lookahead=50
samj

Post by samj »

What does that string do for the encode, picture quality or file size or encoding speed?

Also - I thought the iPad2 frame size was 1280x720 so why would I want to use a smaller maximum frame size?

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Sam
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

samj wrote:What does that string do for the encode, picture quality or file size or encoding speed?

Also - I thought the iPad2 frame size was 1280x720 so why would I want to use a smaller maximum frame size?

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Sam
The iPad is 1024x768 (4:3), not 1280x720. The advanced preset string shown should give you a better looking encode at the cost of encoding speed. I use a combination of the x264 "slow" preset and the "film" tune, and the output plays wonderfully on my AppleTV 2 and iPad 2. More information about the presets and tunes can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19426.
samj

Post by samj »

Which preset did you start with, then add these tweaks?

How do I add the 'film' tune - couldn't quite understand the link you gave me.

Can you just post your entire string and what Preset you started with?

Looks good on both iPad2 & Apple TV2? - Nice.

Thanks!
raziel1011

Post by raziel1011 »

I just wanted to follow up with what samj has asked.

I've been using Apple TV 2 setting with an RF of 19 for my DVD's. As far as I can see - the image looks great. Naturally I'm always up for improving the image (if there is a perceived difference).

If I copied the string; ref=16:bframes=8:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:me=umh:merange=24:subq=10:rc-lookahead=60:analyse=all:trellis=2 into the advanced settings and applied the following settings in that same tab (Set Deblocking to -1,-1
Set Psychovisual Trellis to 0.15 (leaving Psychovisual Rate Distorsion untouched)) would I be accomplishing what nightstrm does? Would there be a perceivable increase in quality (I realize this is subjective).
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The preset/tune topic is part of a larger group of topics: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19819

ref=16 is too much for level 3.1, even at 480p resolution.