Early 2008 Mac Pro 8-core 3.2Ghz 16GB RAM 4TB RAID5

Post your testing results with HandBrake.
brakestands
Novice

Early 2008 Mac Pro 8-core 3.2Ghz 16GB RAM 4TB RAID5

Post by brakestands »

Machine Type: Early 2008 Mac Pro
CPU Speed: 3.2GHz
Number of CPUs: 8-core
Rip Format (MP4, AVI etc): MP4 (default for AppleTV preset)
Encoder: H.264 via x264 (AppleTV preset)
Video Size & settings: (640x480, anamorphic, deinterlace etc): (AppleTV preset, no changes made at all)
Quality / Bit Rate: Average bitrate: 2500 (again, normal default AppleTV settings for easy comparison for others)
1 or 2 Pass: 1-pass (again, default AppleTV presets!)
Min/Max or Average Frames Per Second (FPS): Average 130Fps
Handbrake Version: post-0.9.2, I'm currently using Snapshot 3 svn 1797

Any other comments you desire:

Couple comments:
1. I ran this with no other app's running at all, right after a fresh reboot and Permission Repairing via Disk Utility. Watching Activity Monitor during the rip, I see that HB is using about 630% CPU at any one time, it doesn't change too much. I can't seem to get HB to use more than this...even though it could easily be using 750% or so, as nothing else is running. I used to see it reach that high when running the public 0.9.2 release, but seems it uses less of the cores now.

2. I saw some guy noted that he was using a slightly lower performing mac pro as mine, and he was getting something like 250fps....it doesn't marry with what i'm seeing at all, so not sure what is up there. One would be hard-pressed to have a faster MacPro than mine, so I hope I"m not just cursed :-)

3. The guy noted above also mentioned using 2 instances of Handbrake and implied that somehow that improves the transcoding of the one item he was transcoding for his version of the test. How exactly would one run 2 copies at a time, and how the heck would you leverage the others power to rip/transcode the same DVD as the original app is??? Sorry if that's a lame question, but I need some straightening out on that one.

That's about it, I'm curious what other Mac Pro users are seeing. Any comments from Developers about more optimal use of the 8-core architecture, or any recommended tricks I can use to increase performance would be great.

Much appreciated as always! Long time lurker, second time poster!
Cheers!
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: Early 2008 Mac Pro 8-core 3.2Ghz 16GB RAM 4TB RAID5

Post by dynaflash »

brakestands wrote:3. The guy noted above also mentioned using 2 instances of Handbrake and implied that somehow that improves the transcoding of the one item he was transcoding for his version of the test. How exactly would one run 2 copies at a time, and how the heck would you leverage the others power to rip/transcode the same DVD as the original app is??? Sorry if that's a lame question, but I need some straightening out on that one.
As of Snapshot 3, you *can* run two instance of the cli on separate sources/output files (do two different encodes at once) and see greater utilization of multiple processors/cores (typically with the octo's).

You CANNOT with the macgui anymore. The new queue would try to read the same .plist and strange things would happen.

HB could never use two instances of itself to do the same encode afaik.