New iMac 2.8

Post your testing results with HandBrake.
acefull9

New iMac 2.8

Post by acefull9 »

I just bought a new iMac 2.8 GHz and am using VMWare with Windows XP. I have Handbrake v0.9.2 and the newest version of ANYDVD. I am trying to encode on the virtual machine using the Apple preset and getting an average fps of 16.05. This seems rather slow to me as I was achieving similar results on my laptop which is a Windows XP machine running at 1.66 GHz. Are my results to be expected, or is there something that I am missing?

Thanks for the great program and any help you can offer.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: New iMac 2.8

Post by nightstrm »

Why not run the native OSX version?
acefull9

Post by acefull9 »

From what I understand ANYDVD is the most robust program for unlocking DVDs. I have already purchased the program, so I hope that is the case.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Use AnyDVD to rip to HDD under VMWare, then use the OS X version on the ripped VIDEO_TS folder. Or use Bootcamp instead of VMWare. Either option should avoid the performance hit taken from running the encoding process through a virtual machine.

Of course, the use of some filters (deinterlace, denoise) may also affect performance.
acefull9

Post by acefull9 »

I am trying that right now. I will post the results when I am done.
acefull9

Post by acefull9 »

I am up to 29 fps ripping the DVD with ANYDVD and then using the Mac OS version of handbrake. Are these sounding like typical results?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

They're certainly in the ball park. Try browsing the posts in this forum from people with similar specs.