More than double; 2-cores to 4?

Post your testing results with HandBrake.
Azurael

More than double; 2-cores to 4?

Post by Azurael »

I've just switched my previous E6320 running at 3GHz for a Q6600 running at 3GHz (I wanted a Q9450, but decided that an extra £80 for a ~8% performance gain just wasn't worth it. I also my CPU would clock further, before some smart-Alec chimes in, but I like keeping voltage - and noise - low.)

Anyway, I've noticed that my encodes have got more than twice as fast... Before I was getting an average of about 13FPS at Deux Six Quatre, set to 2000Kbps, and now I'm getting about 29. My memory timings are a bit tighter now, due to running a lower FSB clock - 4-4-4-12 at 375MHz vs 4-4-4-15 at 425MHz. However, I doubt that makes much difference. What strikes me is that my CPU usage, relative to the number of cores, is higher. It was previously showing up as ~160%, whereas now, it's showing up as about ~360% (you'd surely expect about 330%? - sorry about the impossible percentages. It's OS X's terminology, not mine ;)) - I guess the threading in X264 is very efficient with more cores - otherwise it must be that one task has to run in a single thread and is only using about 60% CPU time? I don't know. It's just weird.

It's a recent SVN build, running on OS X 10.5.1.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: More than double; 2-cores to 4?

Post by jbrjake »

Without knowing what revision you were using before, and what revision you're using now, it's hard to say.
Azurael

Re: More than double; 2-cores to 4?

Post by Azurael »

I'm using the same SVN build as I was before. The only thing that's changed is the CPU.

Is there any way to find out which SVN revision I'm using without having the source any more, because truth-be-told, I can't remember which day I downloaded/built it on. It was within the last week though.