i7-10700 vs Ryzen 7 3700x

Post your testing results with HandBrake.
ckronengold
Novice

i7-10700 vs Ryzen 7 3700x

Post by ckronengold »

I'm looking to build a new daily desktop where the only real stress will come from Handbrake.

I'm not clear on whether or not the new i7-10700 or the Ryzen 7 3700x would be better, or if its really a toss-up.

Any advice?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: i7-10700 vs Ryzen 7 3700x

Post by Woodstock »

Ordinarily I'd say it's down to comparing clock speeds and core counts, but...

In today's environment, matching clocks, cores, and memory capability, the AMD is going to win, if the operating system implements the workarounds for Intel's hardware vulnerabilities. If not, it should be a toss-up.

Windows 10 has the fixes in it. Linux in a default build will have the fixes in it. Those fixes give the Ryzen a few percentage points (some claim "up to 30%") on the Intel.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

It's a toss up, I'd go with Intel due to AMD's various support woes (drivers, BIOS, etc), but it may come down to motherboard tradeoffs if you have strong preferences there.
ckronengold
Novice

Post by ckronengold »

mduell wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:59 pm It's a toss up, I'd go with Intel due to AMD's various support woes (drivers, BIOS, etc), but it may come down to motherboard tradeoffs if you have strong preferences there.
I've never built with AMD before. And since its more or less a toss-up, the Intel set up is cheaper since it doesn't require a video card. The other factor right now is that nearly every AMD mobo x570 or b550 are sold out, so just getting the parts for the build would be a challenge or compromise.

I was considering whether or not to buy the 3700x and wait for the mobos to come back in stock, but may as well just build with the i7.

I think on a day-to-day basis, I wouldn't notice the difference. And if one finishes an encode a few minutes faster, it doesn't really matter. Especially if I queue up a few and let them run overnight.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The video is a consideration - the motherboard I got for my last Ryzen build at the end of May had "on board video", except that was a pass-through of the processor video, just as seen on many Intel boards, but the Ryzen processor that was in the price range I was building for didn't have its own video. Net result was it cost an extra $45 to put the separate video card in.

It didn't affect processor speed, though, and the price difference between the particular chip/MB combinations was much bigger than that.
ckronengold
Novice

Post by ckronengold »

Woodstock wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:08 pm The video is a consideration - the motherboard I got for my last Ryzen build at the end of May had "on board video", except that was a pass-through of the processor video, just as seen on many Intel boards, but the Ryzen processor that was in the price range I was building for didn't have its own video. Net result was it cost an extra $45 to put the separate video card in.

It didn't affect processor speed, though, and the price difference between the particular chip/MB combinations was much bigger than that.
So last question -- is there any real-world benefit to the video card when using Handbrake? Or will the 8 cores of either chip really handle the encoding?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

HandBrake has support for AMF (AMD), NVENC (NVIDIA), and QSV (Intel) hardware encoding that uses a dedicated hardware unit that happens to reside on the same silicon as the GPU. Hardware encoding is fast, but lower quality than the sofware encoders HandBrake uses. Of the 3 supported hardware encoder, QSV is the best currently. So an Intel CPU with built-in GPU that supports QSV would give you that option without spending on the extra video card.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

What John says on the hardware encoding.

Personally, I tried QSV encoding, and went back to the software encoders. The trade-offs weren't acceptable to me.

But I'm not you, so that opinion is worth ALMOST as much as you paid for it. :)
obernegg

Post by obernegg »

for my private videos - converting videos to mp4 - Handbrake+QSV is perfect since years.
mainly because of top speed and 99% quality, also for ease of use together with makemkv.
interms of quality - don't forget the principle: garbage in - garbage out !!