Own benchmark comparison using a linux terminal

Post your testing results with HandBrake.
linuxuser
Bright Spark User

Own benchmark comparison using a linux terminal

Post by linuxuser »

I have an old a new pc and would like to find out, how much faster the new pc is. The new pc is "under construction", so I have ( would like to use ssh to send commands, if this makes sense. The easiest way is probably to use a command in a terminal with the same file. What / which options would you suggest?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Own benchmark comparison using a linux terminal

Post by mduell »

Options that reflect your own typical personal encoding preferences.
8Ringer

Post by 8Ringer »

You could just trim the default profile/preset if all you’re looking for is relative speed difference. Or one of the built in presets.

Do you need assistance in generating the CLI command itself? Or just choosing a preset? Because if Ymir’s just the preset, just specify the one you already use in the GUI.
linuxuser
Bright Spark User

Post by linuxuser »

I changed to Ubuntu 20.04 in the meantime. Can you help me with the cli.command please? I don't know how to add metatags with a command line. Assume that my preset ist called "mypreset" and I want to start at 2:00 and end at 3:00 (3 min)
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

For testing SPEED, presets do not really matter - it is simple enough to come up with a command line that may not do exactly what you normally do, BUT will give you a handle on how fast the machines being tested are. Even the examples given in the handbrake CLI documentation will work.

Pick a video accessible by both machines, and run the same CLI command against it. The time command can be used to assess the speed.
8Ringer

Post by 8Ringer »

Personally, I generate a preset in the GUI, export it as a JSON, then import it in the CLI. My command (altered to make it more generic):

Code: Select all

HandBrakeCLI --preset-import-file /path/to/preset.json -i /path/to/movie.mkv -o /path/to/movie/libray/movie.mp4 --preset="Apple4KFast"
Simple as that.