SSD-PCIe vs. SATA

Post your testing results with HandBrake.
linuxuser
Bright Spark User

SSD-PCIe vs. SATA

Post by linuxuser »

Please move, if this is the wrong section.

Assuming, I have 2 SSDs, 1 with M.2-PCIe and 1 with SATA-SSD. Would you use the faster one for source files und the slower one for the output?
Deleted User 11865

Re: SSD-PCIe vs. SATA

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Irrelevant. Unless you're encoding raw uncompressed video, even a mechanical hard drive will have no impact on encoding performance whatsoever.
nhyone
Bright Spark User

Post by nhyone »

Rodeo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:20 am Irrelevant. Unless you're encoding raw uncompressed video, even a mechanical hard drive will have no impact on encoding performance whatsoever.
It may if you are encoding multiple videos at once. :D

Bandwidth is not the bottleneck, but seeking.

I would use SSD for source and spinning HD for output.

This is opposite of what you want cos, space-wise, source files are (much) bigger.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

I use an NAS for source and destination. It has dedicated caching so running multiple encodes on different machines isn't an issue, even with multiple MakeMKV rips going on. Handbrake still ends up being CPU limited.
linuxuser
Bright Spark User

Post by linuxuser »

I wonder why my Ubuntu-18.04-box has problems showing the file with the filemanager, the more videos are encoded. 1 video is ok with Thunar, with 3 or 4 I could take a minute until I see the files with the filemanager. The load can be over 20, cpu 95% or higher
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If filemanger works like Windows Explorer, it is trying to determine things about each file before it displays them. That involves opening them and reading part of the, to do it accurately. Windows Explorer gets REALLY slow when dealing with lots of media files in a directory.
linuxuser
Bright Spark User

Post by linuxuser »

I assume Windows Explorer doesn't work like Linux Thunar, but maybe. There are not so many files in a folder when I open it.Let's say 150 files / dirs. Normally it opens immediately, using 3 handbrake sessions, it gets very slow.