Why is my Dual core Haskell doing better than a Quad Ivy? (transcoding)

Post your testing results with HandBrake.
s10010001

Why is my Dual core Haskell doing better than a Quad Ivy? (transcoding)

Post by s10010001 »

Hello,

I have two laptops I'm looking to run plex server from. I only have 1 maybe 2 streams going at a time, and most of the time its local. Im trying to decide what laptop to use for this. The quad core's power consumption is only a few watts more idel measured with a kill-a-watt so I figured I would use that one.

However, the Quad core is giving me some issues. Im testing my Full BD Rip (makeMKV) of Star Wards XII an its seems to be eating up the CPU to 80%ish and it keeps skipping every 2-3 mins. however the dual core setup 1 is rocking flawless, I watched the entire movie (BD rip to Firestick, transcoded 1080p 8mbps) no problems. Is there something in the Haswell thats making it work so much better or do I have another issue? Both a clean OS X installs. 10.11.4

Both test have been run playing back to a FireStick over n300 2.4 wifi and a PS4 on gig Ethernet. Same results on both!

setup 1
I7-4558U "Haswell" (2c/4t)CPU (http://ark.intel.com/products/75992/Int ... o-3_30-GHz)
intel GPU
8gb ram
External USB 3 HDD for media

setup 2
I7-3820QM "Ivy bridge" (4c/8t)CPU (http://ark.intel.com/products/75992/Int ... o-3_30-GHz)
intel GPU and Nvidia 650m
8gb ram
External USB 3 HDD for media (same drive)

Also,
s10010001

Re: Why is my Dual core Haskell doing better than a Quad Ivy? (transcoding)

Post by s10010001 »

Its worth noting that both are in my cold (60ish) garage for now so its not a heat/throtteling issue. The "server" will get a home in the house with AC for the summer.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Haswell is good for about a 20% Improvement over Ivy.

You are probably also seeing the Dual Core Turbo Boosting to it's max frequency, and the Quad core running at it's Base frequency or lower since it has a lot less thermal overhead.

The combination of which could explain the difference.

Either way, we'd need encode logs for both to see the real differences.
s10010001

Post by s10010001 »

I'm so sorry I meant this to be in the plex forums. I'm seeing problems transcoding the files via plex not encoding with HB!

My bad!
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

LOL. We can now add yet another item to the llllooonnngggg list of reasons activity logs are required for support requests. This made my day :mrgreen: