Atom D525

Post your testing results with HandBrake.
justrob

Atom D525

Post by justrob »

I'm going to be building a low power file and DLNA server for home based on an Atom D525 and was wondering if maybe I could use it for batch encoding jobs while it's just sitting there doing nothing most of the time.

I've been ripping my ridiculously huge DVD collecting over the past few years using DVD Decrypter rips passed through the High Quality/Profile presets in successive versions of Handbrake, and I'm pretty happy with it. The files it produces in mp4 containers work beautifully on my ps3, which is where I do 99% of my movie watching.

So, the question is, how bad can I expect encode times to be on the little atom dual core dealie using the settings above? The box would be sitting in a corner not doing anything most of the time so it'd be nice to use the machine that's holding the movie collection to rip them for me.
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Re: Atom D525

Post by GregiBoy »

LONG!!!! That's all I can subjectively say.

I got sick of using my Atom and stopped doing it.
FreonTrip

Re: Atom D525

Post by FreonTrip »

justrob wrote:I'm going to be building a low power file and DLNA server for home based on an Atom D525 and was wondering if maybe I could use it for batch encoding jobs while it's just sitting there doing nothing most of the time.

I've been ripping my ridiculously huge DVD collecting over the past few years using DVD Decrypter rips passed through the High Quality/Profile presets in successive versions of Handbrake, and I'm pretty happy with it. The files it produces in mp4 containers work beautifully on my ps3, which is where I do 99% of my movie watching.

So, the question is, how bad can I expect encode times to be on the little atom dual core dealie using the settings above? The box would be sitting in a corner not doing anything most of the time so it'd be nice to use the machine that's holding the movie collection to rip them for me.
On a lark, I ran Handbrake on our old 1.6 GHz Atom N270 netbook a few months ago and began encoding my Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines DVD using Handbrake's default High Profile setting.

It took somewhere just north of eight hours.

With dual cores and the clock speed bump to 1.8 GHz performance would more than double - but you'd still be staring down the barrel of a low-to-middling single digit number of successful DVD encodes a day. I won't say that it's a bad idea, but calibrate your expectations accordingly.