With upcoming changes to data protection and privacy laws in Europe coming into effect soon, we thought this would be a good time to remind everyone that we do have a privacy policy.
This applies to all users and visitors world-wide.

We have made a few changes to the language to make it clearer in relation to this new regulation but fundamentally, the terms and your rights are unchanged.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to ask in the General Forum

Barefeats

Post your testing results with HandBrake.
Rodeo
HandBrake Team

Barefeats

Post by Rodeo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:37 pm

http://www.barefeats.com/wst10c3.html

They don't give their settings, but we can hopefully assume they used the same on all machines.

Unsurprisingly, a fast 6-core looks like the best deal as a HandBrake/x264 encoding machine. Though a slower 12-core can match its performance while presumably still having some power left for other demanding tasks.

Also, a 2010 quad-core "Nehalem" Xeon appears almost as fast as a 2008 8-core "Core" Xeon with the same clock speed.

mduell
Veteran User

Re: Barefeats

Post by mduell » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:42 pm

The 4 core iMac is right in there with the 8 and 12 core Mac Pros... they're bottlenecking on something single threaded.

TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:30 pm

Has anyone contacted this guy to determine which version of HB he's using as well as his encode settings?

Rodeo
HandBrake Team

Post by Rodeo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:40 am

I haven't. I don't really care; I only posted this as I thought it might be interesting.

But mduell is right; while the smallish difference between the 2008 8-core and the i7 iMac didn't strike me as a huge surprise (the iMac is a Nehalem with HT, Turbo Boost, new memory stuff etc. - plus a slightly higher clock speed), the 6-core 3.33 GHz should probably be faster in comparison to the iMac.