PowerBook G4

Post your testing results with HandBrake.
tubbyman

PowerBook G4

Post by tubbyman »

System: PowerBook G4, MediaFork 0.8.0b1
Clock: .867 Ghz
Cores: 1
RAM: .640 GB
Flags: -e x264 -f mp4 -2 -d -B 256 -b 2200

Average fps was 1.8 fps, sampled over less than 1 title. I immediately killed (after about 30 minutes) the process when I realized how slow it was.

Caveat: VIDEO_TS folders are on AFP volumes housed on a mac mini server over 802.11g ethernet. Reads and writes are over the network.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Wow, that's amazingly slow. On my old PowerBook 12" 867, I could get about 5fps, similar settings.

By the way, I don't know what you're feeding into those options, but you want to make sure you're not deinterlacing progressive content.
tubbyman

Post by tubbyman »

I got higher fps for lower quality settings using different codecs, but for these particular flags, it was 1.8.

Progressive video formats on DVDs? What's all this, then? I had no idea. I must find out more.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Heh. There's no really easy way to explain this. There's interlaced content, as explained here, and then there's progressive content - which is full frames of video, as one would probably - naively - expect all video to be. Deinterlacing allows interlaced video to be converted to progressive video - so it looks good on computers, LCD TVs, etc - but at a cost of some picture quality.

The cost with HandBrake - as detailed in that link - is extremely high, with the result that leaving deinterlacing on when it's not necessary (basically, with films) will completely decimate the video.

Sorry it's not a great explanation, this is a complex subject.
tubbyman

Post by tubbyman »

I have been looking into this more since it was suggested to me that not all DVDs are interlaced.

From what I can find, it seems that technically the mpeg-2 streams on all DVDs are still inherently interlaced. However, there is a flag set for frames inside the stream (MPEG-2 repeat_first_field flag), which instructs the decoder how to reassemble a progressive frame. Also, inverse telecine decoders reassemble interlaced DVDs that have been encoded using the telecine process into progressive frames.

An added bonus is that sometimes DVDs switch between plain jane interlaced and interlaced with progressive decode instructions mid-stream (especially in scenes with a lot of motion), which makes it harder to figure out how to get native resolution progressive video from a transcode.

I'm sure that if I got something wrong, someone will jump in and correct me.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

I'll be honest, my understanding of the situation is superficial; I know that a lot of content (largely movies) does not need deinterlacing. Whether that's down to it being progressive video on the DVD, or just really easy to reassemble because of how it was converted to fields, I don't exactly know (although I think it's probably the former). What I do know is you really don't want to use HandBrake's deinterlacing unless you have to :)
isiw

Life is good, even at 2 fps

Post by isiw »

I'm running a severely overloaded 1.33 GHz / 1.25 GB PowerPC G4 12" laptop. I'm lucky to get 2 fps; my DVDs rip overnight, and most of a day.

I'm doing them for an iPhone. The settings I usually use are MP4 out, the x264 encoder, and an average bitrate of 1500. Output is 640 x 272. No two pass, no deinterlace.

I do it because the resulting quality is *excellent*, and it runs fine with other stuff, so why not. But the fan is kept pretty busy :)

HandBrake has worked very well for me. I look forward to whatever the future brings. Thanks, all.
stmiller
Novice

Post by stmiller »

Trying the new 0.9.0 release, the h.264 encoding times are much faster for me on my Powerbook.

Machine Type: Powerbook G4
CPU Speed: 867 Mhz
Number of CPUs: 1
Rip Format: mp4
Encoder: x264
Video Size & settings: 720x480 (no resize) autocrop
Quality / Bit Rate: -q 0.5
1 or 2 Pass: 2
Min/Max or Average Frames Per Second (FPS): 9.09 avg first pass

----

Or another option on these slower machines is to encode ffmpeg / xvid, which encodes much faster.
prelude

Re: PowerBook G4

Post by prelude »

Machine Type: Powerbook G4 2GB ram
CPU Speed: 1.67Ghz
Number of CPUs: 1
Rip Format: MP4
Encoder: x264
Video Size & settings: 640x352
Quality / Bit Rate: Ipod High-Rez preset
1 or 2 Pass: single pass
Min/Max or Average Frames Per Second (FPS): 4.5 FPS average

Handbrake 0.9.2

Still use this daily as my laptop, works fine, encodes... slow :)