PAL DVD to NTSC Apple TV - image too tall looks stretched

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
AnalogKid

PAL DVD to NTSC Apple TV - image too tall looks stretched

Post by AnalogKid »

I am having trouble converting a PAL DVD to view properly on a NTSC Apple TV. No matter what settings I try, the result is an image that appears to be too tall. The image reaches the top and bottom of the screeen, but black bars appear on the left and right sides. The image looks vertically stretched.

The DVD source is 720 x 576.

I am wanting to view the video on a 4:3 ratio NTSC CRT television.

The Handbrake "Apple TV" preset wants to output anamorphic 767 x 576 "loose", but this does not display correctly.

I have tried other resolutions and anamorphic settings but without success. The result is always a too-tall image.
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: PAL DVD to NTSC Apple TV - image too tall looks stretched

Post by TedJ »

Yes, PAL storage framesize is 720x576 and 768x576 is the display size for a 4:3 program... I don't see the problem.

This sounds more like an aTV issue rather than an issue with HB... although an activity log would help.
AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid »

I would also expect the 768 x 576 to be the correct dimensions for a 4:3 television. The Apple TV might be at fault and I might have to force the output to some other size and / or anamorphic setting ... but what ?

I'll post a log file. Each conversion experiment takes about 30 minutes to run, which makes trial & error a slow process.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

A single chapter encode would do for testing purposes.
kiran_mk2
Novice

Post by kiran_mk2 »

Does the aTV handle 25 fps/50 Hz stuff? Despite enabling decomb/detelecine some of my R2 DVD encodes show juddering on pans. The same file plays perfectly in vlc and my tv's info display shows the aTV outputting at 60 Hz which would explain the juddering.
peterjcat
Novice

Post by peterjcat »

The aTV should handle 25fps fine if your TV can do 50Hz. You need to change the output to a 50Hz resolution in the menu (or the popup menu using the remote control), though -- the aTV won't switch automatically (as you've noticed).