Not all MP4s play on AppleTV

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jimml

Not all MP4s play on AppleTV

Post by jimml »

Has anyone else come across this ? I have converted a number of Movies and TV shows to MP4, however AppleTV will not stream or sync some of them. There does'nt seem to be any pattern to which will work and which will not work. Yet All of the Movies and TV shows play fine in iTunes, FrontRow and Quicktime.
baggss

Post by baggss »

No, they don't.

If you go read the Apple TV Tech Specs it will give you a clue as to what specific settings need to be made to be ATV compatible. Also, read the sticky about this at the top of this forum, there is some good info in there.
jimml

Post by jimml »

I read the stickies and did'nt find anything there that helped. All of the conversions I did were using the same settings. What is interesting is that some TV episodes from the same disk will work and others will not.
baggss

Post by baggss »

What settings are you using?
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Even with the same settings you may not get similar files out each time - for instance, constant quality settings will make a different decision about bitrate. If you had this on too high, it's possible some would fall just either side of the line of compatibility.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Exactly Hawkman. That's why I asked the OP what specific settings were being used.
jimml

Post by jimml »

I can make the ones that will no stream to the AppleTV work by changing the encoding to H.264, using VisualHub, The only problem the file size doubles.
If I watch the AppleTV when I add shows to iTunes, I can see the titles appear on the AppleTV. The titles of the ones that don't work just flash on then off. And of course the ones that work stay on. It seems that the AppleTV is looking at the header of the show, accecpting some and rejecting others.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Are you planning on sharing your specific settings or just continuing to complain?
jimml

Post by jimml »

File Format: MP4
Codecs: Mpeg-4 Video / AAC Audio
Framerate: Same as source
Encoder: FFmpeg
Aveerage Bitrate: 1000
TV Shows: Deinterlaced
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

Your settings should definitely work!
You have a relative low bit rate but that should only affect the quality and size of the movies.

I recommend enabling Deinterlace for TV Shows.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

I can only suggest that you determine your fps and set it yourself, don't use ‘same as source’.

A long time ago (Sep '06) I encoded some South Park for my iPod using ‘same as source’ and they would not transfer. Went back and set the fps myself and they transferred. The problem is that it was so long ago and I was new at encoding, so I could of changed another setting that was the actual problem. But give it a shot, it might work.

Remember also, when you are testing, you don't need to encode the entire movie, just do one chapter.