Is Apple Universal Preset best for...

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Is Apple Universal Preset best for...

Post by MrMister111 »

Is Apple Universal Preset best for my devices.

I have started converting all my DVDs, to iPod touch format, using Handbrake preset. But I also watch them on my Xbox 360, iPod classic and sometimes via TV out on my iPods to my home TV. What I was wondering was is it better to use the Apple Universal preset to convert instead?

What are the differences between the Apple universal and the iPod touch/iPhone setting please? in terms of quality, file size difference etc.

What preset do other people in a similar situation use please? am I doing i the best way?

cheers
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Re: Is Apple Universal Preset best for...

Post by refulgentis »

They're in the preset, so you can check on this yourself, but the Universal preset is best when you're trying to get maximum quality yet compatible with modern Apple devices. The maximum resolution is the maximum resolution supported by the iPod/iPhone, which is much larger than its screen size. This sounds perfect for you because it allows you to maximize your TV out quality while maintaining support with your iWhatever.

iPhone and iPod touch is optimized for...the iPhone and iPod touch, so its maximum resolution is the iPhone/iPod touch screen size.

Xbox is a whole different story that I don't know about. :P I think Universal would work there based on previous posts by Xbox owners.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

cheers for the reply.

Whats the file size difference in the Universal, and iPhone preset? I want to store all my converted DVDs in these formats, ie I dont want numerous copies of 1 movie for different devices. but again I dont wan them to be too rubbish quality, and again..I dont want them to be too big fie size!!

cheers
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

andyloc wrote:cheers for the reply.

Whats the file size difference in the Universal, and iPhone preset? I want to store all my converted DVDs in these formats, ie I dont want numerous copies of 1 movie for different devices. but again I dont wan them to be too rubbish quality, and again..I dont want them to be too big fie size!!

cheers
This is impossible to tell as the size difference will vary depending on the source material.

If quality is your primary concern (other than compatibility of course), use the Universal preset.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

nightstrm wrote:
andyloc wrote:cheers for the reply.

cheers
This is impossible to tell as the size difference will vary depending on the source material.

If quality is your primary concern (other than compatibility of course), use the Universal preset.
Thats my dilema though, Im not really sure, what I was meaning was converting a DVD, to Universal preset and iPhone preset, what the file difference will be.

What do you use? preset? file size etc?

Also on the presets theres options for average bitrate, constant bitrate and file size. it default at constant bitrate 59% so is the best option?

cheers
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

The Universal Preset is adored. We all love it. Perhaps there's cause to bump it up to 62% for nice DVD's... or down to 57% for ugly old grainy DVD's... but usually it's best left alone. I use it everyday & I know how to use all the options.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

cvk_b wrote:The Universal Preset is adored. We all love it. Perhaps there's cause to bump it up to 62% for nice DVD's... or down to 57% for ugly old grainy DVD's... but usually it's best left alone. I use it everyday & I know how to use all the options.
Thanks for that can you comment on file sizes then please on the preset? ie an average 2hr DVD for example?

ALso what do they look lke whne played on a big TV? eg 40" from a iPod TV out or on a PS3 or Xbox 360?

cheers
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

andyloc wrote:
cvk_b wrote:The Universal Preset is adored. We all love it. Perhaps there's cause to bump it up to 62% for nice DVD's... or down to 57% for ugly old grainy DVD's... but usually it's best left alone. I use it everyday & I know how to use all the options.
Thanks for that can you comment on file sizes then please on the preset? ie an average 2hr DVD for example?

ALso what do they look lke whne played on a big TV? eg 40" from a iPod TV out or on a PS3 or Xbox 360?

cheers
As I said before, there is no easy way to give you a file size as the preset is completely based on the quality of the source. If you said "Approximately how large was your encode from movie X off the special edition release in region 1?", someone might be able to give you an answer.

Personally, I use the Universal preset (very slightly modified), but I'm a little biased. :wink:
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Why don't you just compare a few test chapters from a few different DVDs (with different content, e.g. Animation, Action, etc.) encoded with all the presets in question and decide for yourself?
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

nightstrm wrote:As I said before, there is no easy way to give you a file size as the preset is completely based on the quality of the source.

That's what I would have said. The Universal Preset encodes to a quality. File sizes will vary wildly between 1GB <=> 4 GB in my experience. The goal of that preset is compatibility with quality, not efficiency.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

yeh I understand about the depends on source etc, was just wondering about a ball park figure.

What adjustments to you make to the Universal preset?

Is it ok to use the Universal preset for DivX movie files? ie I know you cant get better quality, but what if the rez of the source file is smaller than what the universal preset istrying to do?

cheers
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

andyloc wrote:yeh I understand about the depends on source etc, was just wondering about a ball park figure.

Is it ok to use the Universal preset for DivX movie files? ie I know you cant get better quality, but what if the rez of the source file is smaller than what the universal preset istrying to do?

cheers
Just the audio adjustments, selecting tracks, etc., If the source is 320, then output 320, etc.,
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

cvk_b wrote:
andyloc wrote:yeh I understand about the depends on source etc, was just wondering about a ball park figure.

cheers
Just the audio adjustments, selecting tracks, etc., If the source is 320, then output 320, etc.,
Cheers...again.

So what about my question on a video file eg a DivX file, what if the rez is lower than the universal preset, what will it do? shall I adjust anything etc?

cheers
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

He already told you, the output size will be the size of the input. (Unless we're talking about HD content)