General HD presets for AppleTV,PS3 and Xbox360 ?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Data-Base

General HD presets for AppleTV,PS3 and Xbox360 ?

Post by Data-Base »

Hello,

I have Family Videos in HD, I want to encode it to HD format (after editing and adding effects and text) that everybody can watch!

the family members has AppleTV, XboX and PS3
I really do not want to make 3 versions of the videos!
is there some presets for a (highest possible quality) HD that will work on these 3 devices with out problems
it will make my life (and probably other's life) much easier to send the videos to my family members (more than 20 Disk to mail!)

I really do need such presets, is there any one else think that we should have such option (preset)?

Thank you
alehel
Experienced

Re: General HD presets for AppleTV,PS3 and Xbox360 ?

Post by alehel »

Unless I'm mistaken, you have to encode your video for the least powerfull of the three machines for it to work on all of them. I don't have much technical knowledge about xbox360 or ps3, but seeing as they can play blu-ray and hd-dvd discs I presume they are more powerfull than the Apple TV which can only manage 720p. I'm no expert, but I would therefore select the Apple TV preset and set the bitrate to 4500. That should keep it within the 5mb limit of the Apple TV. Leave all the other preset settings alone, and you shouldn't have any problems.
Data-Base

Post by Data-Base »

Thank you,
alehel wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, you have to encode your video for the least powerfull of the three machines for it to work on all of them. I don't have much technical knowledge about xbox360 or ps3, but seeing as they can play blu-ray and hd-dvd discs I presume they are more powerfull than the Apple TV which can only manage 720p. I'm no expert, but I would therefore select the Apple TV preset and set the bitrate to 4500. That should keep it within the 5mb limit of the Apple TV. Leave all the other preset settings alone, and you shouldn't have any problems.
it seems logical BUT,

if we take a look at the advanced settings we will see that each one of them has it own settings !!!!
it is not only the case of bitrate, it's maybe related to the advanced settings as well,

thank you
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

it seems logical BUT,

if we take a look at the advanced settings we will see that each one of them has it own settings !!!!
it is not only the case of bitrate, it's maybe related to the advanced settings as well,

thank you
That's exactly correct... that said, I have no idea if you can create a file that is compatible with all three devices.
Data-Base

Post by Data-Base »

nightstrm wrote:
it seems logical BUT,

thank you
That's exactly correct... that said, I have no idea if you can create a file that is compatible with all three devices.
that is why I asked if there is a possibility of having a General Preset for the three devices (Xbox360, PS3 and AppleTV) :-)

I'm sure there is an "expert" who can solve this issue ;-)

Thank you
cvk_b
Veteran User

HD preset for AppleTV PS3 Xbox360

Post by cvk_b »

I don't know anyone with all 3 devices. But I'll give you an untested, unproven educated guess ;)

I will call this preset cvk_b's "Vanilla HD Version 1.0"; Basically 540p24

max width 960 pixels or less
max height 540 pixels or less
fps 23.976 or 25
2 pass turbo avg bitrate 3000, if it's over 4GB when you're done it probably won't work (lower the bitrate)
mp4 container, extension .mp4, chapter markers off, large file size off, web optimized on
video codec x264
video codec settings: cabac=0:level=31:ref=4:bframes=6:me=umh:subme=7:filter=-1,-1
just one audio track, dolby prologic II or stereo, no digital (sorry)
audio codec faac
audio samplerate 48
audio bitrate 160

Of course, I expect someone to say "you can go up to ______ for setting ______". But these are conservative values. Even this might be broken because I can't test it all those environments myself. Plus, while it's certainly better than DVD quality, it's arguable whether that's even HD at all :mrgreen:
realityking
Veteran User

Re: HD preset for AppleTV PS3 Xbox360

Post by realityking »

cvk_b wrote:
max width 960 pixels or less
fps 23.976 or 25
[...]

Of course, I expect someone to say "you can go up to ______ for setting ______".
I guess you can go up to 1280x720 as long as you're <=25 fps.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

realityking wrote:
cvk_b wrote:Of course, I expect someone to say "you can go up to ______ for setting ______".
I guess you can go up to 1280x720 as long as you're <=25 fps.
[/size] :lol:
Data-Base

Post by Data-Base »

Thank you guys for helping the community
cvk_b wrote:max width 960 pixels or less
fps 23.976 or 25
2 pass turbo avg bitrate 3000, if it's over 4GB when you're done it probably won't work (lower the bitrate)
mp4 container, extension .mp4, chapter markers off, large file size off, web optimized on
video codec x264
video codec settings: cabac=0:level=31:ref=4:bframes=6:me=umh:subme=7:filter=-1,-1
just one audio track, dolby prologic II or stereo, no digital (sorry)
audio codec faac
audio samplerate 48
audio bitrate 160

[/size]Of course, I expect someone to say "you can go up to ______ for setting ______". But these are conservative values. Even this might be broken because I can't test it all those environments myself. Plus, while it's certainly better than DVD quality, it's arguable whether that's even HD at all :mrgreen:
thank you cvk_b for your help

but does what realityking suggest is valid (I guess you can go up to 1280x720 as long as you're <=25 fps) ?

and can you guys make a preset (and call it Beta) for Handbrake with the above settings?
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

Data-Base wrote:thank you cvk_b for your help
but does what realityking suggest is valid (I guess you can go up to 1280x720 as long as you're <=25 fps) ?
and can you guys make a preset (and call it Beta) for Handbrake with the above settings?
realityking is a realiable source for info here, certainly. Just make your own preset. My emoticon was not intented discredit his reply, I was just laughing that he did as I predicted. Since I basically offered to support my listed settings I was avoiding if/else scenarios.
Data-Base

Post by Data-Base »

cvk_b wrote:
Data-Base wrote:thank you cvk_b for your help
realityking is a realiable source for info here, certainly. Just make your own preset. My emoticon was not intented discredit his reply, I was just laughing that he did as I predicted. Since I basically offered to support my listed settings I was avoiding if/else scenarios.
Thank you for your reply

the thing is I do not have all the devices to make the tests on!
I would love if the presets will work on them before I send the files out :-)

is there any one welling to help (Xbox360, PS3 and/or AppleTV owners) testing a general HD presets that will work on them all

cheers :-)
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Data-Base wrote:is there any one welling to help (Xbox360, PS3 and/or AppleTV owners) testing a general HD presets that will work on them all)
Likely not reliably. I suggest taking cvk_b and realityking's advice and make a single chapter test encode and send it out to people with all three devices and see how it works out. The target devices are fairly disparate in what they support. So you (and yours) will likely have to be the judge(s).