Xbox 360 and 5.1 help

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
gquiring

Xbox 360 and 5.1 help

Post by gquiring »

I am trying to re-encode some mkv files that do not play on the xbox 360. I get can them to work when I choose 2 channel aac but I have been unsuccessful when trying any AC3 formats. What options do I need to select to create a compatible file that will support DD 5.1?
broaddd

Re: Xbox 360 and 5.1 help

Post by broaddd »

As you probably know, the Xbox 360 can not play mkv files, much less 5.1 in mkv files.

The only formats that the Xbox can play with 5.1 are WMV and avi subject to the caveats here: http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/ ... k-faq.aspx

So have you tried encoding to avi and doing AC3 passthrough?
gquiring

Post by gquiring »

I did finally get it working using GotSent. It makes an AVI file with AC3 5.1. My only issue is the speed now, it takes 6 hours to re-encode a 2 hour movie with a quad core 6600 system.

Does HandBrake have plans to convert DTS to AC3?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

No, because any valid DVD with a DTS track is _required_ to have a corresponding AC3 track per spec.

Rodney
gquiring

Post by gquiring »

rhester wrote:No, because any valid DVD with a DTS track is _required_ to have a corresponding AC3 track per spec.

Rodney
Spec? The files I am using a are BluRay. They only have DTS on them. If there are other utilities like GotSent that can do it I see no reason why HandBrake cannot. HandBrake has a superior interface and it's speed is warp 9 in comparison. I think they should consider it. The BluRay stuff is getting very popular.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

gquiring wrote:If there are other utilities like GotSent that can do it I see no reason why HandBrake cannot.
We eagerly await your patch.