I need your opinion: Apple TV vs. Apple TV Legacy?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Slasher

I need your opinion: Apple TV vs. Apple TV Legacy?

Post by Slasher »

I can't decide so I need your help. What do you recommend for best image quality? The "new" Apple TV preset or the old Apple TV Legacy?
Thank you in advance.
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: I need your opinion: Apple TV vs. Apple TV Legacy?

Post by TedJ »

The new Apple TV preset, without question... the legacy is only there for people who either couldn't handle the slower encodes with the new preset, or fear change in general. ;)
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

I know I asked but...

... I have a slow computer and with an average of just 12 fps Alien: Directers Cut (116 min) will take 4 hours to encode with the new Apple TV preset, according to the built-in timer. With the old preset I got an average of 23 fps and a much faster encoding time of "just" 2 hours for the same movie. I have ripped the same chapter from the movie with the new and the old preset and I can't say I think the new preset looks any better, not with the double encoding time in mind. I can't tell the difference between the two when I sit on my sofa watching them on my 52" Sharp Aquos LCD-TV from 3 meters (10 ft.) away. I don't want to complain when this is a free software but I don't see why I want to spend that extra time for "nothing". :oops:

I live in the EU so my DVD's have the PAL format, 720x576, and Apple TV Legacy outputs 1024x576 while Apple TV (new) outputs 1011x432, thus the difference in size.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

What's the bitrate difference?

But at the end of the day the Presets are just suggestions, you can use whatever you think is beast for you.
jzietman
Enlightened

Post by jzietman »

I actually do see detail improvement in the new preset over the old in those shots, though it is minor. However, it's very difficult to do frame comparisons between 0.9.2 and 0.9.3 simply because so much has changed in x264. it might be that in these frame captures the images look quite similar because x264 uses a similar bitrate in each. I wouldn't be surprised if the new preset's encodes were smaller, though.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Just use the new one. If you're concerned about quaility bump the slider up ( no more than 62% though as its needless bloat).
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

As well, comparing still screenshots is a fools game since psy-rdo in x264 is a psychovisual effect which is best seen in motion.
Use the new one imho.