I can't sync handbrake ripped contents to ATV!!!

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Vorst

I can't sync handbrake ripped contents to ATV!!!

Post by Vorst »

I tried to rip 1 chapter of a DVD to ATV
This is my procedure:
- set Handbrake (0.7.1) to 76% quality - x264basic - MP4file - ACV/H.264/AAC audio - res=640x480- keep ratio. (I also tried 720x544)
-after completion I drag the video into the Movie section of iTune.
-It plays fine in iTunes but when I sync it to ATV, it tells me that the format is not compatible with ATV.

What I do wrong?
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

A bit more detail on your settings might help. For instance, H.264 main profile or iPod profile? [edit] I assume you mean iPod profile by "basic".

Also - what was the resulting bitrate in the file?

[edit] Not many of us have ATVs you know. It may be that an iPod-incompatible file is flagged by iTunes as ATV-incompatible, for instance. Try, say, an h.264 baseline encode at under 1500kbps, or a main profile encode using the settings you used before.
Last edited by hawkman on Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baggss

Post by baggss »

So are you planning on experimenting to find out what does work, or are you expecting someone to spoon feed you?
Vorst

Post by Vorst »

Thanks for the quick response.
My settings as I said is h.265 and forgot to tell you that I used "FFmpeg Encoding" and de-interlace picture was "off". The de-interlacer must be "on".

Now it works!!!

I must say, I bought the Pirates of the Caribbean via iTunes, I also have ripped the DVD via Handbrake and DVD PAL rip with picture setting 720x304, gives better details and color depth and more black scene details, then the iTune stored version.
I use a Optima Projector 720P for displaying my results

Again, I used fixed 75% quality setting, H264/AAC3, 720x576 res., "keep aspect ratio" was "on".
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Ok, glad to see you've investigated a bit. But, umm.

You can't have used ffmpeg for encoding h.264. You must have made a mistake there I'm afraid.

Also, you should never set the deinterlacing to on unless you know for a fact that it's interlaced (such as many TV shows). I should have thought that Pirates, as a movie, would be progressive - so putting deinterlacing on will damage the output movie.

I would suspect that some other settings which you changed - possibly related to the confusion over h.264 - are the difference between success and failure.

[edit] I see your correction - but the comment about deinterlacing holds. If that's the difference, I'll wager that a lot of us will be amazed.
Last edited by hawkman on Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vorst

Post by Vorst »

sorry correction, one mistake, my encoder setting was x264(main profile)
NOT FFmpeg.
Vorst

Post by Vorst »

I tried all day to find a solutions with ATV not accepting my settings.
That is what I found:
When I used a DVD with a 4:3 format and if you go to 65% quality or higher, ATV sync doesn't work. With the Pirates which I tried also, I tried going up to 75% without problems.
This time I kept de-interlacer off. (it was not related to the ATV sync error).
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Vorst wrote:I tried all day to find a solutions with ATV not accepting my settings.
That is what I found:
When I used a DVD with a 4:3 format and if you go to 65% quality or higher, ATV sync doesn't work. With the Pirates which I tried also, I tried going up to 75% without problems.
This time I kept de-interlacer off. (it was not related to the ATV sync error).
Did you check the bitrate of your final movie ? using cq, you will get hugely different final bitrates depending on your dvd source, so you may have exceeded atv's max bitrate.
Vorst

Post by Vorst »

Thanks for that info, I learned something.
I never tried that.

I found that Quick Time shows me the bit rate. It was like 5Mb/sec.(no sync with ATV)
It too bad that the ATV is not informing me about the specific reason for rejecting.
My pirate dvd is showing a bit rate of 3.1 Mb/sec at a 75% quality setting (accepted by ATV) and higher res. 720x304 versus 640x480 used for the 4:3 movie
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Vorst wrote:Thanks for that info, I learned something.
I never tried that.

I found that Quick Time shows me the bit rate. It was like 5Mb/sec.(no sync with ATV)
It too bad that the ATV is not informing me about the specific reason for rejecting.
My pirate dvd is showing a bit rate of 3.1 Mb/sec at a 75% quality setting (accepted by ATV) and higher res. 720x304 versus 640x480 used for the 4:3 movie
Great. if you want to avoid that issue, use Average Bitrate to make sure you are below the ATV's max.

Also, a quality setting of 75% is pretty high, you might want to try 72%, as we have been getting some nice results there and it tends to keep the bitrate in line with ATV.
Vorst

Post by Vorst »

Thanks for that info, that saves me a lot of time.
Strange that the bit rate is higher for a 4:3 format and the same quality setting and lower res picture.
Got it down to 1500 average bit rate and 2 passes encoding and I can't see the differences compared to the 72% fix setting. On a big projector screen 720p projector.
The mp4 file size is 40% less with the 1500 setting.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Vorst wrote:Strange that the bit rate is higher for a 4:3 format and the same quality setting and lower res picture.
Lower res? What are you talking about?

720*304 = 218,880
640*480 = 307,200
Vorst

Post by Vorst »

Good point !!!
I never calculated it.
thats about x1.4 more pixels needed for 4:3 format, interesting info for converting films.