DTS-HD to AC3 for AppleTV

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jbjoret
Enlightened

DTS-HD to AC3 for AppleTV

Post by jbjoret »

I have a good workflow that works perfectly to convert .m2ts to AppleTV HD. It works except for one thing, DTS-HD stream that I convert to AC3 wont'work on the AppleTV, there is sound, but every second my decoder lose it. Anybody has manged to work this out ?
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Re: DTS-HD to AC3 for AppleTV

Post by refulgentis »

jbjoret wrote:I have a good workflow that works perfectly to convert .m2ts to AppleTV HD. It works except for one thing, DTS-HD stream that I convert to AC3 wont'work on the AppleTV, there is sound, but every second my decoder lose it. Anybody has manged to work this out ?
what software do you use...
osohardy

Post by osohardy »

I use Tsmuxer and Eac3to successfully...I bought Wall-E bluray without realizing there was not a separate surround AC3 track. Tsmuxer will extract the DTS core if you choose to demux, I then ran the audio only stream through Eac3to (exact audio copy) to AC3 and remuxed in tsmuxer and worked great...perhaps easier way don't know.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

osohardy wrote:I use Tsmuxer and Eac3to successfully...I bought Wall-E bluray without realizing there was not a separate surround AC3 track. Tsmuxer will extract the DTS core if you choose to demux, I then ran the audio only stream through Eac3to (exact audio copy) to AC3 and remuxed in tsmuxer and worked great...perhaps easier way don't know.
Interesting... I did not think of doing this; I noticed my Bluray "X-Files: Fight the Future" only has an English DTS-MA soundtrack.
ragboy
Experienced

Post by ragboy »

nightstrm wrote:
osohardy wrote:I use Tsmuxer and Eac3to successfully...I bought Wall-E bluray without realizing there was not a separate surround AC3 track. Tsmuxer will extract the DTS core if you choose to demux, I then ran the audio only stream through Eac3to (exact audio copy) to AC3 and remuxed in tsmuxer and worked great...perhaps easier way don't know.
Interesting... I did not think of doing this; I noticed my Bluray "X-Files: Fight the Future" only has an English DTS-MA soundtrack.
eac3to and tsmuxer have been invaluable for me. First, there are those titles with only DTS or DTS-MA, and then there are HD-DVDs I still had, and last, there are some blurays that are split into multiple m2ts files. I can think of Surf's Up as one of them. The hard part is setting up Nero seven and arcsoft for correctly doing the best decoding of EAC3, and DTS. It is especially difficult on a VM with arcsoft, but I finally got it all to work.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

I'll have to give it a shot, although I do not have Nero or Arcsoft installed so I don't know how successful I'll be. I've noticed I own quite a few Bluray titles that are DTS-HD only, so hopefully I can get things working.
osohardy

Post by osohardy »

you don't need nero or arcsoft absolutely--I dont have them either--but I think they are recommended for incremental increase in DTS decoding quality (?) vs what is prepackaged with Eac3to (I think)...I dont remember specifics of this though. In the end, I don't think I could tell the difference personally.
ragboy
Experienced

Post by ragboy »

osohardy wrote:you don't need nero or arcsoft absolutely--I dont have them either--but I think they are recommended for incremental increase in DTS decoding quality (?) vs what is prepackaged with Eac3to (I think)...I dont remember specifics of this though. In the end, I don't think I could tell the difference personally.
It won't decode DTS on its own.

For best AC3, E-AC3 and AAC decoding you need:
(1) Nero 7 (Nero 8 won't work!)
(2) Nero HD-DVD / Blu-Ray plugin

For best DTS decoding you need:
(1) ArcSoft DTS Decoder - version 1.1.0.0 or newer

For DTS encoding you need:
(1) SurCode DVD DTS - version 1.0.21 or newer

For AAC encoding you need:
(1) Nero AAC Encoder

For video muxing you need:
(1) Haali Matroska Muxer
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

ragboy wrote:
osohardy wrote:you don't need nero or arcsoft absolutely--I dont have them either--but I think they are recommended for incremental increase in DTS decoding quality (?) vs what is prepackaged with Eac3to (I think)...I dont remember specifics of this though. In the end, I don't think I could tell the difference personally.
It won't decode DTS on its own.

For best AC3, E-AC3 and AAC decoding you need:
(1) Nero 7 (Nero 8 won't work!)
(2) Nero HD-DVD / Blu-Ray plugin

For best DTS decoding you need:
(1) ArcSoft DTS Decoder - version 1.1.0.0 or newer

For DTS encoding you need:
(1) SurCode DVD DTS - version 1.0.21 or newer

For AAC encoding you need:
(1) Nero AAC Encoder

For video muxing you need:
(1) Haali Matroska Muxer
So what if I don't want the best DTS decoding? Will -libav do it?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Am I the only one wondering why it's acceptable to have thousands of dollars worth of largely redundant applications just so I have the "best" (and how we love that word around here) decoder/encoder options?

So in order to get the "best" audio quality, I just have to download a cubic ass tonne of warez... woot! Sign me up. 9.9
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

refulgentis wrote:
jbjoret wrote:I have a good workflow that works perfectly to convert .m2ts to AppleTV HD. It works except for one thing, DTS-HD stream that I convert to AC3 wont'work on the AppleTV, there is sound, but every second my decoder lose it. Anybody has manged to work this out ?
what software do you use...
I am using eac3to to convert My DTS-HD stream to AC3 and tsmuxeR to remux it, and then Handbrake to convert. I have finally found the reason why my AppleTV has issues with it, well actually it is not the AppleTV that has a problem with the stream but my AC3 Decoder, per default eac3to converts to 640kbits/s AC3 stream, which is for most of the older receivers too much. The DVD specifications allow up to 448kbis/s. I am now using the -448 option flag in eac3to and I have perfect HD movies for my AppleTV.
osohardy

Post by osohardy »

that is what I used and was fine. I did not buy Nero or Sonic. I'm a bit command line phobic so I actually used Eac3toGUI in addition, but all I did was choose 640 bitrate and libav decoding for AC3. I then remuxed in Tsmuxer and passed thru HB for apple TV and is fine so far. The previous post about requiring Nero is from the doom9 forum if you just search eac3...on the same page is:

"The libav/ffmpeg (E-)AC3 and DTS decoders work really well, but the output is not 100% identical to the Dolby/DTS reference decoders. I'm not sure whether there's a difference in audio quality. Decide for yourself. The libav/ffmpeg (E-)AC3 and DTS decoders are both limited to 5.1"
ragboy
Experienced

Post by ragboy »

osohardy wrote:
that is what I used and was fine. I did not buy Nero or Sonic. I'm a bit command line phobic so I actually used Eac3toGUI in addition, but all I did was choose 640 bitrate and libav decoding for AC3. I then remuxed in Tsmuxer and passed thru HB for apple TV and is fine so far. The previous post about requiring Nero is from the doom9 forum if you just search eac3...on the same page is:

"The libav/ffmpeg (E-)AC3 and DTS decoders work really well, but the output is not 100% identical to the Dolby/DTS reference decoders. I'm not sure whether there's a difference in audio quality. Decide for yourself. The libav/ffmpeg (E-)AC3 and DTS decoders are both limited to 5.1"
I was reading in the eac3to forum, and they list several issues with DTS encoding, like volume issues and others, and it was one of the reasons to recommend ARCSOFT. I don't remember all of the issues, but I remember seeing them, and deciding to get it working.
mcbaumannerb

Post by mcbaumannerb »

First off, I am a newbie so please forgive my ignorance in advance...

I have been using HB 0.9.3 and after some experimenting and then reading in the forums for advanced settings, I've been able to convert several DVDs to my AppleTV and have been quite pleased with the quality.

I just got a Blu-Ray player for my PC (an LG GBC-H20L) and have been trying to convert the X-Files (I Want To Believe) without any success yet. After reading through forums on many sites, I realized I needed tsMuxer to build the TS file to feed into Handbrake ... then I realized I needed eac3to to convert the audio streams into AC3. I found this thread and thought I was on the right track, but somewhere I am missing something because when HB finishes decoding (after 11 hours) the file was impossibly huge (14+GB) and wouldn't play. I'm sure my problem is in preparing the TS file to feed into HB - here is what I'm doing:

1. Use AnyDVD HD to rip the disk
2. Use BDInfo to look at the playlists to determine which list is the right one
3. Use eac3to to load the title set and choose the DTS-HD audio track (by looking at the track listing produced.) Then I put in a file name and choose AC3 as the "Save As Type" and click on the "Run Command Line" button. A command window appears and it shows and after a while it finishes and I have my ac3 file.
4. I run tsMuxerGUI and again, I choose the appropriate playlist as my input file, then I uncheck all tracks except the HD video. Then I click "add" and select the ac3 file I created in step 3 (so I have the HD video track and my ac3 audio track selected.) I specify an output file name, choose TS muxing and click "Start muxing" It takes about 15 minutes and txMuxeR finally finishes.
5. I start HB and choose Source->Video File and then specify the ts file created in step 4. It takes it about 30 minutes for the CLI to read the source and find the title. Then I choose the AppleTV profile, set the Width to 1280 and start the conversion and that takes forever.

Is there any obvious step that I'm missing, or a setting in eac3to or txMuxer that I'm not setting? I think I'm very close, but still can't get there - any help will be greatly appreciated.
ragboy
Experienced

Post by ragboy »

mcbaumannerb wrote:First off, I am a newbie so please forgive my ignorance in advance...

I have been using HB 0.9.3 and after some experimenting and then reading in the forums for advanced settings, I've been able to convert several DVDs to my AppleTV and have been quite pleased with the quality.

I just got a Blu-Ray player for my PC (an LG GBC-H20L) and have been trying to convert the X-Files (I Want To Believe) without any success yet. After reading through forums on many sites, I realized I needed tsMuxer to build the TS file to feed into Handbrake ... then I realized I needed eac3to to convert the audio streams into AC3. I found this thread and thought I was on the right track, but somewhere I am missing something because when HB finishes decoding (after 11 hours) the file was impossibly huge (14+GB) and wouldn't play. I'm sure my problem is in preparing the TS file to feed into HB - here is what I'm doing:

1. Use AnyDVD HD to rip the disk
2. Use BDInfo to look at the playlists to determine which list is the right one
3. Use eac3to to load the title set and choose the DTS-HD audio track (by looking at the track listing produced.) Then I put in a file name and choose AC3 as the "Save As Type" and click on the "Run Command Line" button. A command window appears and it shows and after a while it finishes and I have my ac3 file.
4. I run tsMuxerGUI and again, I choose the appropriate playlist as my input file, then I uncheck all tracks except the HD video. Then I click "add" and select the ac3 file I created in step 3 (so I have the HD video track and my ac3 audio track selected.) I specify an output file name, choose TS muxing and click "Start muxing" It takes about 15 minutes and txMuxeR finally finishes.
5. I start HB and choose Source->Video File and then specify the ts file created in step 4. It takes it about 30 minutes for the CLI to read the source and find the title. Then I choose the AppleTV profile, set the Width to 1280 and start the conversion and that takes forever.

Is there any obvious step that I'm missing, or a setting in eac3to or txMuxer that I'm not setting? I think I'm very close, but still can't get there - any help will be greatly appreciated.
It is very difficult with 0.9.3. You need to use the handbrake SVN source. It has MANY updates that make HD ripping possible. I am currently using 2113.
mcbaumannerb

Post by mcbaumannerb »

ragboy wrote:
It is very difficult with 0.9.3. You need to use the handbrake SVN source. It has MANY updates that make HD ripping possible. I am currently using 2113.
Thanks - before I go down the road of building from the SVN, do you know if a public release that incorporates these updates will be available soon?
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

AFAIK it's not even discussed right now.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

There were whispers of a snapshot being released, but that was a little while ago now.
nusiax

Post by nusiax »

I have faced this problem. I am using a MacBook Pro, so there are a few extra steps.
Downloading Blu-Ray and other HD movies in MKV containers.

I used VMware to run Heartware Popcorn MDV Audio Converter. This program re-encodes your DTS mkv files to contain AC3.
Upon completion, I load the mkv container in Quicktime Pro and convert to a self-contained .mov.
then I use Handbrake 0.9.3 to encode the file to an m4v.
My handbrake settings are
Video single pass (match source and output size), Average bitrate 3500. No Anamorphic with HD.
Audo track one is AC3 5.1Ch to AAC fast dolby pro logic 48K 160kbs, (subtitles if you desire)
Chapters (uncheck create chapter marks) This allows for FF and RWD on AppleTV.

I have not gotten a bad encode yet with these settings.

Rob
MacBook Pro
2.4 4GBRAM
nusiax

Post by nusiax »

Here is what I do to move Blu-Ray or HD files to my ATV.

I currently use a MacBook Pro So there are a few extra steps.

obtain mkv contain with DTS audio.
open vmWare and run Heartware's Popcorn mkv Audio Converter

convert mkv DTS to mkv AC3

Open mkv file in Quicktime Pro and save as a selfcontained .mov (on my MacBook Handbrake will freeze when encoding a mkv file).

Open Handbrake 0.9.3
load .mov source
save as a .m4v
Video Codex h.264
FPS Same as Source
One pass
Average bitrate 3500

Picture settings same as source usually 1280x720 or around that, depends on source
Anamorphic off

Audio
Track one
AC3 5.1 to AAC (fast) Dolby Pro Logic II Sample Rate 48K Bitrate 160
Track two
AC3 5.1 AC3 Passthru

Chapters
makes sure create chapter marks is unchecked (This allows FF and RWD on the AppleTV).

I have not ever had a bad HD encode preforming these steps.

Rob
MacBook Pro
2.4 4GB
jbsengineer

Post by jbsengineer »

I am using eac3to to convert DTS to AC3 for my Apple TV encodes. I noticed the bass was much much heavy out on the destiation file compared to the source. Do you guys see this with the DTS-HD to AC3 bluray? I will be starting blu-ray rips soon.

Thanks.
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

jbsengineer wrote:I am using eac3to to convert DTS to AC3 for my Apple TV encodes. I noticed the bass was much much heavy out on the destiation file compared to the source. Do you guys see this with the DTS-HD to AC3 bluray? I will be starting blu-ray rips soon.

Thanks.
I can't really compare, because I have nothing to decode and play DTS-HD, but I am quite happy with the AC3/448 result. I will try to listen more carefully for the Bass.
hugeman

Post by hugeman »

I have some problems with converting DTS-HD MA on my Rambo 3 HD DVD disc. I extracted the DTS-core and then I tried to convert to AC3 in eac3to with the default libav encoder. The problem is that it´s showing upp as AC3 3.0 in Handbrake 0.9.3. If I open up the file in ffmpegx i can see it´s a 5-channel audio-file!