Lets Solve These Artist/Director Tags

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
JasonKerner

Lets Solve These Artist/Director Tags

Post by JasonKerner »

Has anyone on this forum bought anything from the US Movie Store on iTunes? If they have, can they install Doug's Applescript that allows you to Change the Long Description and run it on one of these files to see what info is displayed and post a screenshot here. If we want the Artist and Director fields to come out properly for our DVD rips, we need to pull it all together and work out how to do it.

Lostify doesn't work, neither does Metadata Hootenany. The Apple TV just doesn't display that info. Someone posted that official iTunes movies have the artist, director and producer and description info in the Long Description tag. If somoone could check it out, we'd know for sure.
Mucx
Experienced

Post by Mucx »

I agree, I am not US based so cannot check official downloaded movie or TV shows. I posted about Dougs applescript and adding a description in the hope, like you, someone would confirm that it would appear on the AppleTV? (I dont have a ApleTV but it is out of personal interest and my general iTunes OCD to add such things). So lets have your tips on adding these fields people...

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller?

P.S what would be great and I know the devs here aren't going to do it, but someone could develop a very nice plug-in to HandBrake that allowed you to add the meta-data either before or after a rip. I would help support the person who took on the task.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Mucx wrote:P.S what would be great and I know the devs here aren't going to do it, but someone could develop a very nice plug-in to HandBrake that allowed you to add the meta-data either before or after a rip. I would help support the person who took on the task.
Surely it's called "iTunes"? Doug's script works well. Even id you want an interface with separate boxes for "Actors", "Director" etc that should be fairly simple to do in Applescript too, and probably a better fit with iTunes than HB.
Mucx
Experienced

Post by Mucx »

hawkman wrote:
Mucx wrote:P.S what would be great and I know the devs here aren't going to do it, but someone could develop a very nice plug-in to HandBrake that allowed you to add the meta-data either before or after a rip. I would help support the person who took on the task.
Surely it's called "iTunes"? Doug's script works well. Even id you want an interface with separate boxes for "Actors", "Director" etc that should be fairly simple to do in Applescript too, and probably a better fit with iTunes than HB.
I'm thinking more automatic IMDB lookup and pulling information in. Also the automatic addition of adding a Cover...doing this before or after the completion of an encode. There are lots of cataloguing applications that do this, from Delicious library to DVDpedia lookup information rather well but having something like that become part of the initial ripping process, tagging and embedding the appropriate meta-data would be nice.
JasonKerner

Actors/Director Boxes

Post by JasonKerner »

We could add the Actor/Director boxes - but they still probably won't come out on the Apple TV. How do the official ITMS movies do it? If we know that, then we can make our rips do the same.
washu

Post by washu »

use atomic parsely

How to do it with atomic parsely to get it t show up corectly. I have tagged mine and it works 100% correctly

so here we go:

1.) the data needed in is iTunMOVI element
2.) its a plist

Code: Select all

<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"UTF-8\"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC \"-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN\" \"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd\">
<plist version=\"1.0\">
<dict>
<key>cast</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>Bill Murry</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>Harold Ramis</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>Warren Oates</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>P.J. Soles</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>Sean Young</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>John Candy</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>John Larroquette</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>John Voldstad</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>John Diehl</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>Lance LeGault</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>Robert Leighton</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>Conrad Dunn</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>Judge Reinhold</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>Antone Pagan</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>Glenn-Michael Jones</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>directors</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>Ivan Reitman</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>producers</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>Daniel Goldberg</string>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>
Thats a sample for the movies Stripes

so you would need ot pass it to atomicparsely as <file> --rDNSatom 'the plist data' --name=iTunMOVI --domain=com.apple.iTunes

there ya go
JasonKerner

that sounds good...

Post by JasonKerner »

that sounds great about it working. I'm just playing with AtomicParsley now and its coming back saying unrecognised option '--rDNSatom'. What have I done wrong on this. Could you post a full example of the command line with what to put in?

Where you put 'plist data', I assume just put the path and name of the plist file?
washu

Post by washu »

make sure you have the latest version of atomic parsely
JasonKerner

ok, got the latest version...

Post by JasonKerner »

Hi, Thanks for your advice so far, its brilliant and I can't wait until I get it working, but.... (gonna sound like a n00b)...

so, I put in this...

AtomicParsley movie.mp4 --rDNSatom 'movieinfo.plist' --name=iTunMOVI --domain=com.apple.iTunes

and it doesn't seem to do much or give me errors... what I am doing wrong
washu

Post by washu »

not the plist file, but the contents of the file as a huge honking string on the command line
JasonKerner

getting there...

Post by JasonKerner »

Ok, so Ive got my Plist as a big string, put the tags in and tried it with the download from AP's website, version 0.9.0 and when I run the AtomicParsley app, it says unrecognised option '--rDNSatom'

If I use the APscript program in the script folder, it doesn't give me any errors, but it doesn't seem to re-write the file either, just comes back almost instantly at the command prompt. You mentioned using the latest version of AP, have you got a different one you're doing it on?
JasonKerner

Solved it. You're a Legend.

Post by JasonKerner »

Right, so I got the latest SVN of AtomicParsley - didn't read the readme.txt file and spent ages trying to figure out how to build it. So finally built it, got my line of XML in and...

it works!!! freakin' awesome....
Anamonde
Novice

Post by Anamonde »

I have not yet tried this... how does it work? Do I have to input all the information manually or do I just give it a link to the movie page on IMDB/OtherMovieSite ?

_
Ideally... sometime in the future it would be awesome to just give handbrake an IMDB link to the movie you are just about to rip and it adds all the information automagically in the right place. (I can dream can't I?) :D
washu

Post by washu »

hitting amazon via the developer API would be better.. IMDB sucks at times with foreign movies giving corruperted data + the cover art it has sucks when viewed on the atv
wakingbadger

Post by wakingbadger »

I am trying to do this, but it isn't showing up on my AppleTV. All the data seems to be in the file (from a dump of the text) and there were no errors...

Here's the command I was using...

~/bin/AtomicParsley /Users/bvinson/Desktop/The\ Incredibles.mp4 --artist "Pixar" --album "The Incredibles" --title "The Incredibles (NEW2)" --year "2004" --comment "853x358 [ANAMORPHIC]" --contentRating "PG" --genre "Kids & Family" --description "A family of undercover superheroes, while trying to live the quiet suburban life, are forced into action to save the world." --rDNSatom '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"><plist version=\"1.0\"><dict><key>cast</key><array><dict><key>name</key><string>Craig T. Nelson</string></dict> <dict><key>name</key><string>Holly Hunter</string></dict><dict><key>name</key><string>Samuel L. Jackson</string></dict><dict><key>name</key><string>Jason Lee</string></dict><dict><key>name</key> <string>Sarah Vowel</string></dict><key>directors</key><array><dict><key>name</key><string>Brad Bird</string></dict></array><key>producers</key><array><dict><key>name</key><string>John Walker</string></dict></array></dict></plist>' name=iTunMOVI domain=com.apple.iTunes --artwork "/Users/bvinson/Desktop/The Incredibles.jpg" --stik "Short Film"

Thanks for any help...