XBOX 360 conversion not playable on XBOX 360 streaming

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
imagine3

XBOX 360 conversion not playable on XBOX 360 streaming

Post by imagine3 »

I have many ripped DVDs on my Windows Home Server and stream them to my 360 perfectly. I am now trying to convert a video that is already in mp4 format to something that is playable. I have tried to use the XBOX 360 preset without anything changed and when I put the video on my WHS, the video is not playable and I get the error code: 69-C00D36BE

I know the video converted properly because I can play it on my MacBook Pro (where I converted it) as well as my desktop PC. Is it possible something with the XBOX 360 preset isn't working? below I pasted the Advanced settings to show that everything is the preset.

level=40:ref=2:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:bime=1:weightb=1:b-rdo=1:direct=auto:b-pyramid=1:me=umh:subq=5:analyse=all:no-fast-pskip=1:deblock=-2,-1
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: XBOX 360 conversion not playable on XBOX 360 streaming

Post by jbrjake »

The preset works perfectly fine. No one told you it was intended for streaming, and it isn't. It was tested for actual playback on a 360 and that's all it's meant for, not Microsoft's braindead "streaming" "solution."

If the video doesn't play locally on the 360, then there's a problem. But you chose not to include the requested activity log when asking for support, so it's impossible to address any issues with that.
Knersis

Post by Knersis »

I've been having similiar problem regarding my XBox 360 and WHS with Handbrake.

There have been some posts indicating that it could be a frame rate issue. I have only just come across this possible solution and will have to test it this evening.

I am converting the DVDs on my Mac, copying them to the WHS Video share, and then streaming them that way.

On my Windows Vista PC I use DVDFab for copying to ISO, then FairUse 2.8 Wizard to convert to XVid. Very easy to use.

As for it being a stupid solution, I don't think so. It brings all my home PCs backup'd up, my videos and photos into a central location.
Knersis

Post by Knersis »

Ok, Here's the settings I used for using Handbrake to encode videos that will stream from the WHS with Media Sharing enabled.

Select Format as MP4 file
Video Codec: MPEG-4 (Xvid)
Framerate: Same as source
2-pass encoding

Quality: Whatever you like. i use target size of 350meg for TV series, and 1gb for movies, depends on size.
Pictures setting: also whatever, play with this for quality that you require.

Audio Codec: AAC
Mixdown: Dolby Pro Logic II
Sample Rate: Auto
Bitrate: 160kbps

Either give the file an AVI extension, or rename the file to AVI after its finished encoding.

Copy to the server, and you're good to stream.