Apple TV works with Scart TV's!

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
SicMX
Novice

Apple TV works with Scart TV's!

Post by SicMX »

sorta

From the Apple Discussions forum:
Just to let you know, I have apple tv working on my tv with only scart input.

Here is the setup:

component leads connected to a keene SYNCBLASTER RGB2C COMPONENT TO RGB TRANSCODER (adaptor supplied from keene).

Switch Settings on transcoder:

1 down
2 up
3down
4 up

push the button in to show amber/red light

Scart lead (make sure it is fully wired) to tv

Apple tv set to 480i

Audio via the optical out to my sony amp.

Works a treat!

This is the only way you can get the video to work with scart.

I bought the apple tv without checking the full settings, and assumed that an rgb scart lead would work, but was determined to get it working. The keene convertor is a very impressive peice of kit and worth the price.
http://www.syncblaster.com/Syncblaster_RGB2C.html

I might actually be able to get an Apple TV right away! My TV only has RGB input (Scart) so this should work.

Anyone else tried this?
cedarwood

Post by cedarwood »

Hi,

This was posted on the apple forum by me. I can confirm that this does work (and works very well).

I have it connected to an old matsui 32" widescreen CRT.

The image quality is as good as I have seen on a non-hd crt (picture shows correct aspect ratio).

I ordered the apple tv before actually seeing if it would work (might have had a few beers when I ordered it, which would explain my oversight!).

There are two converters that will do the trick (both from keen electronics), the other one is the APTUS2 http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?APT2

It is the same price as the one I have used, however the SYNCBLASTER RGB2C COMPONENT TO RGB TRANSCODER has additional functionality (might be handy for converting scart to component if i need to at a later date).

If you need further info on setting up, let me know.

CD

Regards,

CD
studio1972

I had the exact same problem...

Post by studio1972 »

I thought Scart RGB was the same as component but it isn't. I decided to bite the bullet and convinced the Mrs. that we need a HDTV. Got a Panasonnic TH37PX70 37" plasma and I have to say I don't regret it. The Apple TV is great by the way. Both the synching and streaming work flawlessly and even her indoors understands how to use it. I can't imagine that any of the alternatives would be this easy to use.

PS, anyone want to buy a JVC 28" flat screen CRT with 3 scart sockets?