Can Chapters Be Added to M4V Files?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
exodar

Can Chapters Be Added to M4V Files?

Post by exodar »

I noticed that movies purchased from iTunes have Chapters so you can select a spot to go to during the playing of the movie without having to hold down the fast-forward button and wait forever. Is there a way to add this chapter information to an M4V file created by HandBrake either automatically or manually?

Thanks...
exodar
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

There will be, in the not too distant future (assuming there aren't any unforseen hurdles). The manual way is a real pain in the backside, I wouldn't recommend it.
exodar

Post by exodar »

Thats what I like to hear :)
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

works great in our current svn. Will also be in our upcoming new release :)
jonathankit

Post by jonathankit »

Just out of curiosity, in the future program releases, will the chapters be added automatically at the same place as the DVD or will we (the user) have to pick the appropriate pints
Cyander
Experienced

Post by Cyander »

dynaflash wrote:works great in our current svn. Will also be in our upcoming new release :)
Well, it works, if you don't mind your chapter markers being about 1/3rd of a second off due to sync problems.

I am looking at ways that chapter information can be correctly propogated using the FIFO queues to make it frame accurate.
sidechain

Re: Can Chapters Be Added to M4V Files?

Post by sidechain »

exodar wrote:I noticed that movies purchased from iTunes have Chapters so you can select a spot to go to during the playing of the movie without having to hold down the fast-forward button and wait forever. Is there a way to add this chapter information to an M4V file created by HandBrake either automatically or manually?

Thanks...
exodar
Click the right button once it jumps ahead by about 6 minutes and twice jumps about 12 minuts and so on ...
Mucx
Experienced

Post by Mucx »

To answer his question and basing this on discussion in another thread. It will automatically place chapter marks in the same place as the DVD. The work being done (which I think is awsome) seems to read the information on the DVD that contains the markers and then put them into the outputted HB file...so same as your DVD, except at the moment slightly a split second out due to a syncing issue which is being worked on.

Mucx
Cyander
Experienced

Post by Cyander »

Mucx wrote:To answer his question and basing this on discussion in another thread. It will automatically place chapter marks in the same place as the DVD. The work being done (which I think is awsome) seems to read the information on the DVD that contains the markers and then put them into the outputted HB file...so same as your DVD, except at the moment slightly a split second out due to a syncing issue which is being worked on.

Mucx
BTW, I have a fix (almost) ready for the sync issue with chapter markers. I found a good way to feed what chapter a frame belongs to as it passes through the pipeline, but there were two bugs in the dvd reading code which made this difficult. I will probably take the specifics over to the Development forum when I have a patch ready to submit for chapter track enhancements, and the first stage of subtitle overlay enhancements (auto-adjust flag). :)
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

By the way, I presume (gulp) that this means if I want to get an updated file with chapter tags, I have to go and (ugh) re-rip everything I just ripped with the current version of Mediafork.

Too bad for me.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Cyander wrote:
dynaflash wrote:works great in our current svn. Will also be in our upcoming new release :)
Well, it works, if you don't mind your chapter markers being about 1/3rd of a second off due to sync problems.

I am looking at ways that chapter information can be correctly propogated using the FIFO queues to make it frame accurate.
Are these chapter marks available in the iPod and Apple TV, or only in iTunes? I always rip my DVD's to separate files for each chapter so I can skip to the ones I want in my iPod, but this would be much easier.
MacDude

Can't wait

Post by MacDude »

Really looking forward to this feature.
maurj
Enlightened

Post by maurj »

Just been trying my new Apple TV with a movie from the iTunes Store, and not only does Apple TV support chapter markers (as expected), but it also displays the name of the chapter above the timeline when you skip to a chapter. I have a feeling that it may also be using the jpeg-track (found in iTunes Store movies) as a key frame for the chapter whilst streaming the next chunk of the movie (when accessing the movie over a network), but this is yet to be tested!

- maurj.
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

Has this been checked into the public branch? I was mucking about with build 474 and I don't see any chapter marks in the result (though the UI element is there it doesn't appear to do anything).

Unless I'm missing something stupid and obvious. :)

-- C
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

The output file needs to be named with .m4v for iTunes to recognise the chapter marks, I believe. That certainly used to be the case, I'm happy to be corrected.
Fastfwd

Post by Fastfwd »

maurj wrote:...
and not only does Apple TV support chapter markers (as expected), but it also displays the name of the chapter above the timeline when you skip to a chapter.
What about front row? Will I be able to skip more than 30 seconds to "find" my way back. Front Row usually remembers where I am in the movie except when I close iTunes and then I have to press "skip" 100 times to find my spot of use the mouse to click to the right place.

Seems like a non-problem except that my mac is used only for TV and the keyboard is wireless and usually turned off and stored away from view.
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

hawkman wrote:The output file needs to be named with .m4v for iTunes to recognise the chapter marks, I believe. That certainly used to be the case, I'm happy to be corrected.
Indeed, this appears to be true even when playing in Quicktime player.

What I find interesting about this is when the file is named .mp4, I see no chapter track in Quicktime player. But when the same file is named .m4v, the track appears.

-- C
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Yeah, it's weird. QT does a similar thing with timed text tracks - it needs a .3gp extension to be able to see them. :roll: