Upconvert on an HDTV?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
sunspot

Upconvert on an HDTV?

Post by sunspot »

Hi. I am sure I am going to sound like a n00b, but since I am one with Handbrake and generally ripping DVDs, etc., oh well.

I have read a few things about how to use Handbrake to rip for the iPod/Apple TV. I have a bunch of DVDs for my little son that I'd love to rip so he can watch over ATV, rather than using our DVD player, which upconverts to 1080i.

Is there a way I could set the rip so though it is not an HD DVD, it will rip and upconvert to be displayed full screen on my Panasonic flatscreen (which displays 720p and 1080i)? Is this just not possible?

If it is possible, any guidance on the settings?

Right now for instance I took one dvd which I then rip'd with a width x height of 720 x 480, and a video bitrate of 1500.

So far things play fine on my ATV through my Panasonic, but of course I end up with a box display and lots of black border rather than making full use of the width of the screen. Perhaps this is advisable, but with the upconverting DVD player I have, the results are really quite good (good enough for my little guy anyway).

Is this just not possible?

Thanks!

Bog

Post by Bog »

I ripped my James Bond Goldfinger DVD with Mac The Ripper. I then used the VOB files as my source to encode with Handbrake. I selected:

File format: MP4
Codecs: AVC/h.264 Video, AAC Audio
Framerate: Same as source
Encoder x264 (h.264 Main)
Average bitrate: 1500
2-pass encoding enabled

Source shows as 720x480 and output is 720x400. This displays full screen on my widescreen TV through the Apple TV.

sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Interesting. I choose the same size as the source (720x480) and it rips in this format which makes the box display. Is it possible for me to simply set the target to 720x400 and thus in essence force the full screen rip?

Or does this not make sense? I'll do a quick experiment. Obviously useless if it distorts the picture so that it isn't enjoyable to watch.

hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Did you crop any black bars off with Handbrake? If you don't, they'll still be there... :)

dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: Upconvert on an HDTV?

Post by dynaflash »

sunspot wrote:Is there a way I could set the rip so though it is not an HD DVD, it will rip and upconvert to be displayed full screen on my Panasonic flatscreen (which displays 720p and 1080i)? Is this just not possible?
Should definitely be possible. If you tv can take 720p input, make sure the appleTV is set to 720p in the settings menu. That should tell it to output 720p

Also, you may want to use the "Anamorphic" feature in Picture Settings in MediaFork 0.8.0b1. That may overcome the picture box you are getting as well.

Please keep us up to date and let us know what you find. I think everyone is still sorting out AppleTV and its output settings in relation to HB.

sunspot

Post by sunspot »

So far as an update, I tried to change from 720x480 to 720x400 with the thought this would make any difference, but it didn't.

dynaflash, thanks for the suggestion. Let me play with that. It isn't a big deal - my kids don't really care about the black box, though I don't love it because I am still breaking in the plasma, but what can you do!

I do know this all must be possible since the xbox 360, when I just put the CD in and select 720p, auto upconverts (without any degradation of any consequence to the image quality I can discern - not again that it matters so much with these children stories) and fills the whole screen nicely.

I'll post with any new finds.

tech_head

Black Box on appleTV

Post by tech_head »

I hav e the same issue.
I have tried different rips with different tools.
I've tried cropping, no crop, etc......

I can't get it to display full width or full height.
I've used MTR with MPEG Streamclip, then QT Pro.
I've used MTW with Handbrake.

Nothing, always a black picture frame.
my TW will not zoom when using HDMI. I suppose I could use component and zoom, but it's a pain in the, you know what.

tech

HTnoob

Post by HTnoob »

sunspot wrote:Interesting. I choose the same size as the source (720x480) and it rips in this format which makes the box display. Is it possible for me to simply set the target to 720x400 and thus in essence force the full screen rip?

Or does this not make sense? I'll do a quick experiment. Obviously useless if it distorts the picture so that it isn't enjoyable to watch.
where do I select "size same as source"? sorry for the question, but new to handbrake :?:

My source is 720 x 480 my output is 720 x 354. I want full screen for HD TV playback from Mac Mini. What is anamorphic? When I select that the resolution jumps to 853x354