Max Bitrate for AppleTV and Progress on 5.1?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
exodar

Max Bitrate for AppleTV and Progress on 5.1?

Post by exodar »

I have looked all through Apple's website and I don't see a maximum supported bitrate for the AppleTV. I know for h.264 on the iPod it is 1500, but I imagine that its much higher for the AppleTV. Does anyone know what that ceiling is yet?

Also, I have read through a lot of the topics and am curious what the progress on 5.1 audio output on the AppleTV is (if any). Is it even possible to encode 5.1 audio into a h.264 rip? What about an MPEG4 rip instead...

Thanks...
exodar
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

You didn't look very hard.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

Answer: 5 Mbps. People have had success up to around 6.

5.1 aac will be in the next beta but the AppleTV plays them downmixed to Dolby Pro, as has been reported many times in this very forum.

Video format has nothing to do with what audio formats a container can hold, so I dunno why you ask about h.264 compared to mpeg4....
exodar

Post by exodar »

WOW! How in the WORLD did I miss that on the Tech Specs. I swear I read that like 3 times and never saw it. Now time to dump a DVD at that Bitrate and see how big the sucker is!

So I guess I will wait until the next beta to start ripping DVD's for playback purposes so I can be sure the 5.1 is at least preserved in AAC format in hopes that an update to the AppleTV will put an end to the downmixing it does now.

Thanks...
exodar
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

exodar wrote:So I guess I will wait until the next beta to start ripping DVD's for playback purposes so I can be sure the 5.1 is at least preserved in AAC format in hopes that an update to the AppleTV will put an end to the downmixing it does now.
I wouldn't get my hopes up. If it were that easy, don't you think at least one of Apple's core products (QuickTime, FrontRow, and Apple TV) would support it?

One thing is clear - this all revolves around QuickTime. But even if a QuickTime release in the far-off future supports true 5.1 AAC (and I consider that very unlikely), it will not follow on to Apple TV for some time, if ever.

What you get with Apple TV is what Apple is going to deliver. Their core products and Apple Store offerings underscore this point.

Rodney