H.264 Advansed Options

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
kalafalas

H.264 Advansed Options

Post by kalafalas »

hello everyone, you may remember me form the "iPod anmorphic Playback" Question. i have a couple questions on almost the same topic, but changed enough where i felt it needed a new question. as you may know, i am trying to get a file that is as close to the origonal DVD as possible, and will look perfect/play on my iPod classic, iPhone, and Computer, and try not to get it to much higher than 2gb a movie. i am running handbreak .9.2 on vista. currently i am using 720 loose animorphic (to not loose compression, loosing a pixel here and there is ok for me), 2000 kbps and 160 kbps audio, crop automatic, and 1-Pass. my question is, whats the best thing to put in the advansed option for this feat? the iPhone, iPod high-res and quicktime all have diffrent codes in here... and im not sure what to use. my origonal ishues i was having with the "iPod animorphic playback" were the vbv settings, but in the iphones preset, there non existant, and when i encode a video on the iphone preset, it works on my ipod. what should i use to get the best picture out of theese options? what does it all mean so i can use it better? i tryed to look at the guide that handbreak givs you through the gui..... i dident get it.

edit: i know i havent provided a activity log, but thats because i dont know what to encode, so i havent encoded anything, so theres nothing to log :(
cvk_b
Veteran User

Re: H.264 Advansed Options

Post by cvk_b »

There are several topics on this already.
http://www.google.com/custom?num=50&hl= ... ndbrake.fr
kalafalas

Post by kalafalas »

i already did those scearches, and that dident help. first of all: everyone there is talking about the iPod 5G, and my iPog 6g and iPhone can handle way more than that, and i want to push there limits, not the 5G. all im asking for is a better understanding of how the advansed settings work, so i can play with them myself to find the highest i can do, without breaking compatibilty or the 2gb line i set. if someone has the exact same problem as me, and already found something that works, and can make me skip the testing stage, then great.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

kalafalas

Post by kalafalas »

thank you, that did help somewhat, but dident bring me to a conclusion. because A: (once again) this dident explain the advansed options to me. and B: they are very outdated. they are talking about iPhone 1.1.4, and i have 2.0.1, adk what itunes there talking about, but i have 7.7.1, and there talking about iPod classic 1.0.3, i have 1.1.2, whicth i know they changed the limits on since those upgrades, but i dont knwo what.
kalafalas

Post by kalafalas »

example of what i want: this is the code that is in the default for the iPhone preset. if someone could break it down for me and tell me what it all MEANS? that would be great. and hopefully tell me what all the others mean to :)

level=30:cabac=0:ref=1:analyse=all:me=umh:subme=6:no-fast-pskip=1:trellis=1
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Thats why we have documentation...

I would advise you to read it, or otherwise risk this thread getting locked.
kalafalas

Post by kalafalas »

i did read it. and it only had like 1/2 of the fratures explained! i said this in the enitail question..... can someone just PLEASE explain to me how this works and how i can use it best for my current situation? thats all im asking!
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

kalafalas wrote:i tryed to look at the guide that handbreak givs you through the gui..... i dident get it.
...if you didn't "get it" by reading the docs, then you're just [Censored] out of luck. Mainly due to it being the easiest collection to read on the subject (for a neo-fight). You obviously do not understand how many options there are for x264. No one here is going to step you through them. As for the options in the iPhone Preset that you listed, they all can be found either in the same section you claimed you read, or by the links that were called out.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

kalafalas wrote:i did read it. and it only had like 1/2 of the fratures explained! i said this in the enitail question..... can someone just PLEASE explain to me how this works and how i can use it best for my current situation? thats all im asking!
You have used the the forbidden phrase ("what's the best *blahblah* for my *blahblah*"). There is no answer. It's subjective. Handholding doesn't happen on this forum. You have complained that our documentation is inadequate. It is not.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

kalafalas wrote:i did read it. and it only had like 1/2 of the fratures explained!
...and it also contains links to not one, not two, not three, but *four* other sources of information on the net. Come on. It's not like I left you with nowhere to turn for stuff I haven't had a chance to cover yet.

And for the record, of the eight options you specifically called out, the page has explanations for all but one: level. Your claim that the page "only had like 1/2 of the fratures[sic] explained" is simply not true. I do not appreciate your lack of candor.