High Quality Apple TV DVD Rip

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Sjujohn

High Quality Apple TV DVD Rip

Post by Sjujohn »

I have done some searching for how best to rip for AppleTV and currently do the double pass at 2500 bit rate I don't play with the picture quality yet ther is a noticble differnece in quality between what i see on appletv and what I see when I watch the dvd thorugh my xbox 360. Is this just a restraint of what the appletv can handle? If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
lone_tree
Experienced

Re: High Quality Apple TV DVD Rip

Post by lone_tree »

In my limited experience it's near impossible to get 100% DVD quality. You can certainly increase your bitrate for starters, and when you get more ambitious do a search for CRF, learn everything you can, and try an encode using CRF. Though the quality may not perfectly match the DVD, the convenience factor is huge. Not to mention you can now do an AC3 passthrough with the audio.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Correction, it is impossible to get 100% DVD quality.

Edit: I should add and make it AppleTV compatible (AppleTV cannot playback MPEG2).
lone_tree
Experienced

Post by lone_tree »

nightstrm wrote:Correction, it is impossible to get 100% DVD quality.
Good call. :D

Your best bet is to stick with the ATV 2-pass preset and hope for the best, unless you want to delve into CRF.
Sjujohn

Post by Sjujohn »

Thanks everybody