Ripping for PS3 2.10/2.17

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ndyclrk

Ripping for PS3 2.10/2.17

Post by ndyclrk »

I was ecstatic to finally watch a movie that I ripped using handbrake for my PS3.

The command line that I used was:

Code: Select all

HandBrakeCLI -i /dev/dvd1 -L -e xvid -f avi -m -b 2500 -E ac3 -m -s 1 -N -2 -T -v -o Babe.avi
The video looks great, and I'm enjoying full 5.1 Dolby Digital AC3 sound.

The only problem was that I had to open it in VirtualDub on my Vista laptop, select "Direct Stream Copy," save a new copy of the same AVI, and then push it back up to my NAS.

Is there anything in HandBrake that we can do to skip this extra step?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: Ripping for PS3 2.10/2.17

Post by nightstrm »

ndyclrk wrote:I was ecstatic to finally watch a movie that I ripped using handbrake for my PS3.

The command line that I used was:

Code: Select all

HandBrakeCLI -i /dev/dvd1 -L -e xvid -f avi -m -b 2500 -E ac3 -m -s 1 -N -2 -T -v -o Babe.avi
The video looks great, and I'm enjoying full 5.1 Dolby Digital AC3 sound.

The only problem was that I had to open it in VirtualDub on my Vista laptop, select "Direct Stream Copy," save a new copy of the same AVI, and then push it back up to my NAS.

Is there anything in HandBrake that we can do to skip this extra step?
Isn't there a problem with xvid in .9.2?
lesmikesell

Post by lesmikesell »

Is there any other option for ps3 with 5.1 audio? I've been able to get a working avi using mac the ripper to a video_ts file, then ffmegX using mencoder's divx encoding with AC3 passthrough, but so far haven't been able to get handbrake to do the equivalent.
canoehead

Post by canoehead »

Have you tried the 6 channel discreet setting in HB? I generally use the PS3 setting, and then switch the audio to 6 channel discrete. I really wish there was a way to make it stay that way so I didn't have to change it for every encode.
AtTheAsylum

Post by AtTheAsylum »

I've had a lot of success with Handbrake and the PS3 by creating a MKV file (Matroska) which contains H.264 video and AC3 audio. I then use another tool, MKV2VOB, to convert the MKV into a format that the PS3 recognises (MPG).

H.264 video is great - add this to the AC3 audio and the result is fantastic :)

The only downside (apart from the process not being totally within Handbrake) is that H.264 video takes a lot longer than XviD to encode...

The process is fairly simple:
1. Open Handbrake and choose the PS3 preset.
2. Choose your DVD.
3. Change the Audio Encoder to AC3.
4. When entering a destination filename, choose 'mkv' from the 'Save as type' drop down.

BTW - I use the Windows GUI...
ndyclrk

Post by ndyclrk »

I resolved this issue by installing yasm and then rebuilding HandBrake from source.

$ sudo apt-get install yasm
$ rm -rf HandBrake
$ tar xzvf HandBrake-0.9.2.tar.gz
$ cd HandBrake
$ ./configure
$ jam
$ sudo cp HandBrakeCLI /usr/bin
$ sudo ln -s /usr/bin/HandBrakeCLI /usr/bin/handbrake
$ time handbrake -i /dev/dvd -L -e xvid -b 2500 -s 1 -F -f avi -E ac3 -o title.avi | tee title.log

This resulted in a ~100% performance improvement (framerate was doubled) and the output avi was immediately playable on my PS3. Video looks very good, and AC3 5.1 ch sound works perfectly.

Next step is to write a script that grabs the title from vol_id and writes the command line for me.
dougzer0

Post by dougzer0 »

this sounds really cool. I think I'm gonna run out and get a Mac mini for ripping. will be interesting to add linux on it and rip using your technique and compare it to a OS X rip on the same box. Or maybe try recompiling on Mac with yasm, would have to figure out how to do that first, if its even possible.

**edit

well i just ordered a dell inspiron 530 ... lets see quad core / 3 G ram / 500G hard drive / dvd +- RW / Radeon HD HDMI out / for $599 w/shipping VS . mac mini dual core / 1 G Ram / 80 G hard drive / DVD CD Combo Drive / Integrated Graphics for $599. Dont really need the small form factor *that* much so NO CONTEST !

I did go with Vista Home Premium even tho I coulda went with XP SP2. Anandtech doesnt think Vista SP1 is so bad (damning with faint praise) but i really wanted the updated media center. I think I'll live.

So now it will be an interesting test of Vista vs Linux (flavor) on the same machine ... stay tuned (gonna be a couple of weeks before I get the machine).