How do I trim scenes out of an mp4, and keep it an mp4?

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
bodieq

How do I trim scenes out of an mp4, and keep it an mp4?

Post by bodieq » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:15 am

Ok, here is my situation, and I may be missing something obvious, so I would welcome any help.

This is kind of a Quicktime Pro question for Handbrake users, so I apologize if it is placed in the wrong spot. Anyways, here goes.

Every once in awhile, I want to do some editing of an .mp4 file after Handbrake finishes encoding it. Say there is a scene that I would like to trim out of my mp4 for whatever reason (bad language, lame scene, etc) in Quicktime. So I open up QT Pro and set the little tabs at the bottom to my in and out points and hit delete. Boom! Scene gone and all is well.

Then... I go to save the file and my precious, newly edited .mp4 wants to be saved as a .mov. If iTunes recognized this as a valid video format, it would be no problem, but I cannot view .mov's in iTunes, it needs to be an .mp4. So what do I do?

I see the export options in QuickTime, is this where my help lies? Should I just save it as a .mov and then re-convert it again? I would hope to avoid this if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

bdkennedy1
Regular User

Re: How do I trim scenes out of an mp4, and keep it an mp4?

Post by bdkennedy1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 am

If you edit an mp4 file, you have to re-encode it. When you edit it, you are physically changing the coding in the file. There's nothing you can do about that.

The best thing to do is save the original file in the highest quality possible so you won't lose much when you re-encode it.

paddycook

Post by paddycook » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:42 am

Use MPEg Streamclip - you can trim without re-encoding

bodieq

Post by bodieq » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 am

I didn't know that MPEG StreamClip could do editing, I have only used it as a conversion tool. Thanks alot for the suggestion, I will try it out.

rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:39 am

bodieq wrote:I cannot view .mov's in iTunes, it needs to be an .mp4.
Since when?

Rodney

bodieq

Post by bodieq » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:28 am

My final goal for encoding video is to be used with my AppleTV. If I have a movie as a quicktime file, it will not show up in the Movies section of iTunes, and therefore not be available for streaming.

dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:05 pm

bodieq wrote:My final goal for encoding video is to be used with my AppleTV. If I have a movie as a quicktime file, it will not show up in the Movies section of iTunes, and therefore not be available for streaming.
Then my guess would be that the .mov file is not compatible with the ATV for whatever the reason, too high a bitrate, etc. .mov is clearly states as AppleTV compatible within reason. Odds are if the .mov is ATV incompatible, then simply changing the container alone will not help.

Smokerz

Post by Smokerz » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:18 pm

after using Handbrake to encode you can use MPEGStreamClip to cut out unwanted video. I try to stay away from that process to preserve what Handbrake encoded.

I do use MEPStreamClip on Handbrake files which cause the skip forward function on the Apple remote to not work. It only occurs when encoding .m2t files. Handbrake is the only applications which works well on .m2t files. I encode for Apple TV. Then use MPEGStreamClip and only do a save as function. Then I change the file extension to .m4v Upload to Apple TV then the Apple remote skip function now works. Video still looks very good. Nothing has ben re-encoded.

Apply this idea to your issue.