Anamorphic ignored by Apple TV only

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
palhen

Anamorphic ignored by Apple TV only

Post by palhen »

I've encoded a movie using the preset 'iPod High-Rez', adding a second pass (with turbo for the first one) and enabled anamorphic (Strict). The encoded movie play correct in iTunes, in QuickTime and on my ipod Touch. But on my Apple TV (Take 1.0) the Anamorphic 'flag' seems to be ignored and the movie looks to be played without the 'stretch'. Am I using the settings correct? Should it work?

I have some previous encoded (Handbrake v0.91) movies with anamorphic settings that play backs right on my Apple TV, so the possibility to play anamorphic movies do work in some kind of way (I've recently down-graded to take 1.0 for good reasons).

Any ideas or suggestions? (I've restarted Handbrake, re-encoded the movie, restarted the Apple TV and resynced...)

Regards,

Henrik
maubp

Re: Anamorphic ignored by Apple TV only

Post by maubp »

Didn't apple change something in the Apple TV "take 2" software to do with how they handle anamorphic? That might explain your problem - if HB 0.9.2 is targetting only what the revised Apple TV supports.
palhen

Post by palhen »

Sounds plausible. Are there anyone else who have heard anything about this? Anything that changed with the encoding of anamorphic in Handbrake v0.92?

Maybe I've to 'bite the bullet' and upgrade again... :roll:

Thank you for the advice.

Henrik
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Anamorphic in 0.9.1 used the QuickTime transformation matrix. 0.9.2 uses pasp and the stream width definition.

The revised approach is confirmed to work with AppleTV 2.0. Are people having problems with anamorphic on AppleTV still running 1.1?

Rodney
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

I'm not sure any testing was done by those of us on IRC with a 1.0/1.1 AppleTV... we were all too eager to upgrade to 2.0. :D
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Agreed, afaik all testing was done on atv2 which of course is what we are targeting as its the current atv software as of HB 0.9.2.