PS3 Compatible Option Strings

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rhuarch

PS3 Compatible Option Strings

Post by rhuarch »

I have just bought a PS3 and am hoping to convert my DVD library to .MP4 so that I can access them from my computer over the network. Only problem is I have limited Disk Space; as such I am trying to squeeze the max quality possible into an MP4 with a target size of 800MB. I have been experimenting and researching for Several Days now as to which x264 options I can enable/set to get maximum quality in my limited file size and still be compatible with my PS3. Has anyone else experimented with deviating from the PS3 preset in Handbrake? If so I would love it if you could post the option strings (i.e. the text in the advanced tab) you used successfully; even if you didn't set a target file size, just seeing what options have worked with the PS3 would help me greatly with my own experimentation. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: PS3 Compatible Option Strings

Post by jbrjake »

Try the Xbox 360 preset...clee did the PS3 preset for his own requirements, that put speed over size. I put some slower, higher quality stuff in the 360 one. But it should be PS3 compatible, at least that was my intention.
rWally

Post by rWally »

Will the PS3 and 360 presets work on an appleTV as well?
rhuarch

Post by rhuarch »

Thanks for the info. Consequently, I noticed in another post someone mentioned that it was important to include level=41 in the advanced options. I also noticed the the xbox360 preset is set to level=40. Do I need to change that to 41 to play it on the PS3? Also, I have looked everywhere and can't find an explanation of what that particular setting actually means/does. Anyone willing to fill me in? Thanks.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

rWally wrote:Will the PS3 and 360 presets work on an appleTV as well?
No, of course not, they're not neutered devices like the AppleTV. They actually support the complete h.264 standard.
Do I need to change that to 41 to play it on the PS3? Also, I have looked everywhere and can't find an explanation of what that particular setting actually means/does.
No, 40 will be fine. Levels are explained on the Wikipedia page for AVC/H.264.
rhuarch

Post by rhuarch »

No, 40 will be fine. Levels are explained on the Wikipedia page for AVC/H.264.
Cool, thanks for the pointer. I read the grid explaining levels and I think I understand whats going on with them now. Level 40 appears to only support substantially lower bitrates than level 41. Does that mean that level 40 should be easier to stream over the network than level 41? Please let me know if my interpretation is even close. Thanks.