Apple TV/5.1 Preset MP4 compatible w/XBox 360?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mactivist

Apple TV/5.1 Preset MP4 compatible w/XBox 360?

Post by mactivist »

Hi guys,

Now that 5.1 can be supported in a proper Mp4 container I'll be ordering an Apple TV very soon. Until then, I have to continue using my Xbox 360/Connect360 plug-in for OS X to stream my iTunes content to my home theater.

Handbrake 0.9.1's Apple TV presets (with 2-pass/non-turbo and "slower" de-interlace mode) work just fine with the Xbox 360; I'm hoping MP4's encoded with HB 0.9.2/Apple TV 5.1 presets will also play correctly via the Xbox. I am assuming the Xbox will pick the AC-3 track and pass it to my Denon receiver? Or will it pick the stereo track instead?

I'll post my results late tonight or tomorrow. If anyone already knows the answer, I'd appreciate your reply.

Thanks.
realityking
Veteran User

Re: Apple TV/5.1 Preset MP4 compatible w/XBox 360?

Post by realityking »

It will most certainly not play back the AC3 track since this is a non standard addition to mp4 that Apple created.
mactivist

Post by mactivist »

realityking wrote:It will most certainly not play back the AC3 track since this is a non standard addition to mp4 that Apple created.
Gotcha. I'll see if I can figure out which of the Xbox 360 preset threads in this forum has the best setting recommendations (if someone knows, can you please post a link to it; thanks!).
macmayhem

Post by macmayhem »

my roommate and I were battling this with this 360.

M$ basically neutered H.264 support on the xbox. It'll do mpeg4/xvid with surround sound passthrough (in the AVI container) but it won't do H.264.

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/ ... k-faq.aspx
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Ok, I too have this concern. I appreciate the software as-is, the people writing/coding/supporting this are doing so absolutely free and I do see their point.
It's up to them if they ultimately support a device or not 'officially'.

While this is a small disappointment, I think instead of seeing all these threads with complaints and adding to that, I think I am going to take the preset from the old one, manually put it into the new version and then export it. If the import feature works, I'll post the preset online for all who wish to test it out/use it. The only thing I ask in return is to have feedback on whether it works or not.

My sincere thanks and appreciation goes out to every single person who's worked, currently working or will work on this wonderful piece of software.

I am hoping to have this done by this weekend, I'll post the link back here when done. (if this is against any rule or whatnot, please by all means someone tell me).

Have a great day all!

Dennis
Last edited by Dennis on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

UPDATE: 2nd try, and it's working.

Please me know how this works out for anyone willing or wanting to try this - please let me know here on the board, by replying to this post.

There is only ONE step you need to take after the conversion - it's to manually change the extension from .m4v to .mp4 (simply by placing the cursor in the file name and taking out the .m4v and changing it to .mp4. (I've done 3 files, and so far, so good.)

I've run them from both my NAS and a USB stick, directly placed into the USB port on the xbox 360. This has been tested on an older style xbox 360 and a slim.

NOTICE:

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, I MAKE NO WARRANTIES EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED AND AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE WHATSOEVER TO YOUR SOFTWARE,
COMPUTER, XBOX OR OTHER EQUIPMENT. BY CLICKING, DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING THIS FILE, YOU AGREE THAT YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY AND ALL DAMAGES THAT YOU MAY INCUR TO ANY AND ALL OF YOUR SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE.

(It's only a .plist file - exported from Handbrake)

http://www.filedropper.com/xbox360prest ... nsupoorted
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Dennis wrote:UPDATE: 2nd try, and it's working.

Please me know how this works out for anyone willing or wanting to try this - please let me know here on the board, by replying to this post.
How the hell is this preset supposed to be on topic? Where is the 5.1 audio?

Getting files to play on the Xbox 360 is trivial (Normal preset, anyone?). Getting surround sound passthrough to work, not so much.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Rodeo wrote:
Dennis wrote:UPDATE: 2nd try, and it's working.

How the hell is this preset supposed to be on topic? Where is the 5.1 audio?

Getting files to play on the Xbox 360 is trivial (Normal preset, anyone?). Getting surround sound passthrough to work, not so much.

Excuse me, it's my first attempt, and from what I can tell, it's working.
Maybe you shouldn't be so (they censored the word that sounds like hissed) howling mad at the world and actually try it instead of complaining. You're regular ray of sunshine, aren't you? :wink:

If this isn't what you are looking for - move on, discount me and ignore my future posts, fair enough?

Nobody is making you read my posts, no more than they are making you use the software with your xbox 360.

If somebody IS making you do all of the previously mentioned, please let me know who, because I'd like to see you dressed in a kilt with bagpipes doing a jig! :D
Deleted User 11865

Dennis wrote:If this isn't what you are looking for - move on, discount me and ignore my future posts, fair enough?
That's irrelevant. Your message is simply off topic - it's about Xbox 360 compatibility. This thread isn't about Xbox 360 compatibility (which is trivial - the Normal preset should work just fine), it's about outputting files that:

- are compatible with both the Xobx 360 and original AppleTV

- feature 5.1 surround sound which the Xbox 360 will pass through to a receiver

That's not as easy, and your post doesn't help in that regard. At all. All it does is complicate things more than necessary.
Deleted User 11865

Oh, and this topic is three years old, to boot. …