5.1 Audio for ps3 and appleTV

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rWally

5.1 Audio for ps3 and appleTV

Post by rWally »

Does anyone know of a way to encode a file that will play 5.1 audio on a ps3 and an AppleTV? I'm guessing this is just wishful thinking at this point but it can't hurt to ask.
BucksSaddler
Novice

Re: 5.1 Audio for ps3 and appleTV

Post by BucksSaddler »

Hi,
It can be done, but you need to be willing to checkout and compile handbrake yourself (guide in the wiki) and go back to Revision 1271. Before 1272 the audio options allowed you to select AC3 passthru as track 1 and 6 channel discrete as track 2. This way you would end up with one MP4 that would play on Apple TV (AC3), and the PS3 would decode the 6 channel AAC and send it out as 5.1 PCM thru HDMI (The PS3 doesn't support AC3 in MP4, thats why 2 tracks)
This can't be done in the 0.92 release as the audio options changed and you can't mix the options as mentioned above. The guy's have said why in other posts, and rightfully so.
Remember that if you do the checkout and compile then it's in no way supported by the Dev's - and again rightfully so.
Hope that helps.
(P.S - I'm hoping this ability comes back as i believe the dev's are looking at the whole audio thing for 0.93).
Cheers
rWally

Post by rWally »

I've followed the guide in the wiki and was able to do a build no problem but what how do I build a previous revision?
rWally

Post by rWally »

This may not be the right forum for this anymore so if someone could move this so I could get an answer that would be great but if someone could let me know what I need to do to build a previous revision I would appreciate it. Thanks.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Just check out the revision you want in your svn client. then build it.
rWally

Post by rWally »

Thanks dynaflash. Got the build worked out.

What preset should I start out with before tweaking the audio settings? From what I understand the PS3 preset will not work on the AppleTV and the AppleTV preset will not work on the PS3?